CHAPTER 5: Lies

J u n e 2nd:
6 days before the tragedy.

8:00 a.m.

Yawning and walking out of my room lazily, I looked up at Chara, who was in the kitchen, drinking her usual cup of coffee as seen every morning. I rub my eye and looked at her with squinty eyes, my messy hair and my long, baggy sweatpants. "You're an asshole." I spat at her, half asleep. My movements were slow and I dragged my feet across the floor, reaching dreadfully for a mug. "Eating the last slice. I had to go to bed last night hungry because I knew you had more of the pizza than I did."

"Good morning to you too." She said, taking another sip of her coffee, a long, loud, sip. "You're welcome for setting your alarm." She snarled, obviously hinting the sarcasm in her voice. "You would have never gotten up." She chuckled slightly.

"How can you possibly get up this early?" I groaned, looking at her. Nothing was coming to me as she said. My delayed reactions were amusing to her most mornings. I groaned once more, pouring the fresh pot of coffee into the brown mug I grabbed from the cabinet. "I don't even think I have the strength to lift up this coffee mug." I wined. "You may need to help me." I smiled, sitting next to her at the kitchen table. The news was already on, Chara was usually the morning type. I, however, was not.

"Oh magical powers..." Chara said, not entertained, "bestow the strength to allow Frisk to hold her coffee mug..." She said sarcastically, taking another sip of her coffee. I let out a small stiffle of laughter and picked up my coffee mug, drinking it with satisfaction. "And have the coffee mug take the shape of a dildo." Chara finished her sentence. I choked on the coffee, coughing at the sudden intake of the hot drink. Chara was laughing.

"Chara!" I exclaimed. "Ohhhh.." I just held my temples, thinking about what I had just caused. "ohhhh get that out of my head..." Chara was still chuckling in amusement. "That's not funny!" I said, laughing along. "But I'm still drinking it." I said, taking another sip of my coffee, unamused once again.

"Hey. Whoa. Check this out." She said in a more serious tone. She picked up the remote that was next to her and turned up the volume on the TV in the living room. "We all knew it was gonna happen one day." She said, sighing with not a hint of care in her eyes.

"Oh my god!" I looked at the news. The top headline read something only we could have dreamed about for years. It finally happened. 'NEW FRANCE DICTATOR DECLARES WAR ON BRITAIN. THE UNITED NATIONS HAS YET TO RESPOND TO THE SITUATION.' The title read in all caps. The news reporters were in a blaze, stunned by the breaking news overnight. "You think the United Nations is going to do anything?" I asked Chara, who was deeply intent on hearing what the reporters had to say. She turned it up more to block out my voice.

"Welcome back to News 5!" The reporter said. "Troubling news overnight, the neutrality treaty between France's new monarch and The United Kingdom has been violated! The coup d'é·tat (Coo-deh-tah) by radical Louis XIX was almost intercepted by the United Nations, however, this standby position only lead things to be worse in the end." She said, shuffling her papers. "It is unclear that the U.S. or Germany will get involved due to their involvement within the United Nations." She spoke. "This could potentially be the upcoming of World War 3." She spoke, naming potential allies that would side with France, due to certain trading tariffs and treaties that dated back since the end of WWII.

"Oh my gosh." I said, exhaling. "We're fucking screwed." I said. "Who knows how powerful France's army is when that dictator took control!" I gasped, turning to Chara once more,  "oh my god!" I said again, "Five are considered to be nuclear-weapon states under the terms of the Treaty on the Non-Proliferation of Nuclear Weapons. France is one of them." I said worriedly. "France has access to nuclear BOMBS!"

"Calm down, you idiot." She said. "It's like a million countries against them. If each of the five countries bomb France with a WMD, then they will be holding up the white flag in no time." She said, making a valid point. "The dictator has nothing to do with this, they've all just lost their temper and after a flick on the nose, they'll be eating watermelon together and frolicking." She said. "So calm the fuck down for a second and think about this rationally." She said.

She has a point. Any other allies and we're screwed. That's when I'm saying that. I don't say it for the sake of my own sanity.

"Fine. Fine." I said, exhaling. "This I still serious. We've had peace for god knows how long! Since like... WWII!" I exaggerated. "Yeah there was the Cold War and everything but I mean like DEATH!" I sighed, sitting back in my chair. "And I wanted to go to see Paris one day." I laughed a bit.

"Now is the time before too much changes." Chara jokes along, causing a small bit of laughter between us. "So.." She asked, "what are you doing on your day off?" She asked. "I sure hope it's not going to the lab so you can run more tests on me." She rolled her eyes. "You always try and push your days off back a day or so." She huffed.

"Actually," I countered. "I'm staying here." I said. "I'm going to relax and celebrate with a job well done and not think about science." I lied. "How about you?" I asked, seeing the hint of aback in her facial expression. "You usually stay home, don't you?"

Come to think about it, I never see where she goes on her days off. It's a mystery.

"I'm uh.." her eyes darted around the room. "I'm going to go to the lab." She said, grinning. "There's more stuff I need to get done since all day yesterday was full of tests and experiments." She cleared her throat. "Thanks to you." She laughed once more.

She's lying. I'm lying too. I wonder if she knows I am?

"Alright." I said, narrowing my eyes. "How are you getting to work when it's an hour away?" I said skeptically. "You have no car or license. It was suspended, remember?" I asked, she rolled her eyes, her temper getting the best of her as she slams her hand down onto the table.

"Listen." She said, looking at me with red eyes. "Quit pushing my fucking buttons." She said through gritted teeth. "I'm not going to work! And you and REALLY don't need to know where I'm goin' today!" She hissed, aggressively standing up and dumping the rest of her coffee in the sink. "Now get the FUCK off my back, and just quit pushing me!" She yelled, storming through the front door and closing it with a slam.

"Alright then." I said, sipping my coffee in silence. "Time to get to work."