CHAPTER 17: Something Strange

Time: unknown
The day is dragging on. I can't go any further.

"Oh." I stopped myself, staring at the figure's shadow with a blank stare. "I thought you were a person." I laughed, patting the small snowman that was made rather perfectly, if I could say so. "The shadow looked like a person!  That's weird..." I trailed off, fixing the crooked coal eye on his face. The snowman didn't talk back. His coal eyes held a blank stare, and he stayed completely still, even if the wind was beginning to pick up. "Well, I bid you a good day, Mr. Snowman!" I laughed, shaking my head slightly at my silly antics.

But still. That still doesn't make any sense! A fully made snowman? Yet, still no one in sight? This is too bizarre!

I walked back towards the town, looking in awe at the brightly lit cabin that the snowman was next to. The lights were covered in snow, but the Christmas colored lights could still be seen though the thin layer of snow. "It seems like Christmas here." I chuckled to myself, looking at all the presents underneath the Christmas tree that was placed in the middle of the small town. "None for me." I smiled sadly, looking at all of the dust piles that circled around the Christmas tree. Walking towards the front end of Snowdin, I didn't turn back towards the right seeing how where the large wooden cabin is, is the edge of the town.

I walked by slowly, looking into the windows of all the small homes and shops of the deserted town. It was all so strange. A library, stacked full of books and even had computers! "Librarby" I read aloud, laughing at the misspelled name of the building.

I opened the door with the jingle of the customer bell, and looked around with a perplexed look. "What is this?" I asked to myself, noticing more dust piles scattered around the library, including one behind the desk, where a receptionist or a librarian would normally sit. A table lied in the middle of the room, books lied on top of it, still open, while dust piles surrounded the table.

The books hadn't been touched, the computer was off— in sleep mode, and the lights were all still on. It's like everyone in the civilization just... disappeared. Pictures of .... creatures hung on the walls of the library, showing smiling faces of rabbits wearing clothes, and ducks holding up a beer. As if they had the same traits as a human.

Could this possibly be the species that was kept down here? These hybrids of animals and humans?

I shook my head, but I kept the thought. I can't afford to rule any ideas out quite yet.

Heading out of the library, I passed by what seemed like a bar, again—empty. The sign read 'Grillbys', and it seemed like it was open and running for business, however, there was no one inside, just like the library. And like the library, dust piles loomed around the place, in seats and on the floor.  A few tables were turned over, as if something broke into a fight.

I continued walking without going into Grillbys. I was growing exceptionally tired, and I needed to rest. My stomach growled loudly as I headed towards the Inn I saw earlier when I went into the shop that was at the beginning of town.

I walked into the door of the place, and yet another customer bell went off, and there was actually something in here! A small bunny with blue trousers stood behind the counter, almost too real. "Hello—!" I began to ask the small bunny, only to realize that it was a cardboard cut, and merely a decoy. "Oh." I said, disheartened.

I poked the cardboard cut out and it fell to the ground with a thump. Only then, did I notice the notice on the counter, giving me a small amount of hope.

My eyes grew wide at the notice.

'PLEASE DON'T HURT MY FAMILY." The notice read in all caps. That was it. Nothing else

Something strange is going on here. Things are getting too weird. All of the electricity on in the small town, but not a soul in sight? Where could they all go?

Looking over the counter, I could see two dust piles, a large one and a small one. Nothing except dust. Nobody came.

"Well they left the room key here on the counter.." I trailed off, "so they MUST be offering me to stay." I said to myself, snatching the key up off of the counter. "I'm tired, and I will think of more of this situation in the morning." I yawned.

Glancing at a small clock on the wall next to the stairs of the Inn, I gasped, hoping I didn't read the clock right. Reading it again, my jaw dropped, and I stifled a bit of laughter. "Well no wonder I'm so tired!" I chuckled. "It's 11 pm! I've literally been walking all fucking day!" I said, rolling my eyes and walking up the stairs.

With each step I took, a loud creak would ring throughout the small Inn, I cringed, thinking someone would round the corner and tell me to hush or pay for the room.

I read the room number on the key, room 4. I quickly moved up to the correct room number and unlocked the door with a small sigh, smelling the homey scent that the room gave off, unlike the rest of the deserted underground.

As long as I keep continuing like this, I'll be fine on water, with all of this snow, however, if I'm not out by 3 weeks, I'm a dead man.

I closed the door, taking off my soaked shoes and leaving them by the heater to dry. I crept under the covers, placing my small device on the nightstand of the bed, and blowing my hand slightly, feeling the rough, dried blood on my hand, and the torn skin. "It's comfy." I mumbled, snuggling down into the covers.

I read the small digital clock on the nightstand, 11:36, and rolled back over, unable to stare at the large numbers for long.

I closed my eyes, leaving the lights on because I was too lazy and too comfy to turn them off, and drifted off into a deep slumber.