CHAPTER 9: The Tragedy

J u n e 7th:
The day of the tragedy

8:00 a.m.

Waking up early, which I never do, I excitedly put together my things for my journey that was scheduled to take place this morning. I was going to drive to Mt. Ebott, leave my car somewhere, and go inside the entrance that Chara went into around the other side of the mountain. The entrance was supposedly inside of a cave and was at a higher altitude than the exit was.

I had tons of bottled water packed, along with non-perishables for food. Lots of canned food. I had gone shopping the day before after Dr. Hudson has kindly let me off of work to prepare for my research journey. "Alright." I said, looking at my backpack with a smile. "I think that's everything." I said to myself, looking at the bag with a hint of unease. I couldn't help but feel that I was forgetting something.

I have food, water, toms of paper and notepads, pencils, lots of pencils...

My thoughts trailed off as I looked at my dresser with yet another smile. "My Device!" I exclaimed, packing it in my backpack, along with two or three pairs of clothes to change into. "I really gotta come up with a name for that thing." I said, looking at the hiking pack with satisfaction. "I should name it the detect-o-metere!" I said to myself, laughing.

I opened the door, walking outside to see Chara in the same spot as usual every morning. Drinking her coffee and watching the latest news on tv from the previous night. "I think that should be it." I said, almost sadly. She didn't even look at me. This project had torn us apart. Our once friendship was tainted. I surely hoped that our friendship wasn't so weak, that this little spiel would shatter it for good. "Mind if I sit next to you?" I asked, a sad smile on my face as she didn't look in my direction. "Chara?" I asked.

"It's our house." She said. "Sit where you want." She said, rather harshly. I could tell she didn't want to fight either. "It's gonna be weird without you here." She said, after a bit of silence. "Who am I going to argue with?" She chuckled.

"Oh I'm sure you can argue with Suzan or Hudson." I laughed along. She nodded, sipping her coffee slowly.

"It's not as fun." She said. "I don't get in trouble when I argue with you." She chuckled again, smiling for what seemed like the first time in forever. "Plus, how I'll have to eat instant ramen for god knows how long." She seemed, bored. Almost as if she had been practicing these specific lines for this vary moment.

It's just a coincidence. My interpretation is probably wrong about her emotions. I could never guess chara's emotions.

At that moment, she turned up the volume to hear the weather report. "Well, I should go." I said, as she turned it up more. "I'll see you in two weeks?" I asked her, waiting for answer.

Just as I asked her, the flash briefing scrolled across the screen, the channel suddenly switched reporters to a LIVE television station near the bottom of Mt. Ebott. Chara's eyes went wide with surprise, her breath stopped for a spit second, and she sat up in her seat, her bored complexion completely went away. Something new. My eyes went wide at what I was seeing as well.

The reporter was surrounded by others, the reporter on this particular station smiled, holding a microphone closely to mouth. "Breaking news!" She said. "Recently, a scientist at Ebott labs had successfully done a full sweep of a supposed uncharted territory in the last 1000 years!" She said, pointing towards the mountain. "Ebott labs claimed nothing but dust was found. However, what seems like a skeleton! Has just walked out of the underground, witnesses say!" She said, the camera zooming in on a distant figure that did in fact have the face of a skeleton.

She said there was nothing in the underground! A new SPECIES! An entire new species was found! More importantly, why did they come out?

Chara turned up the volume even more, She was standing up now. "Now way—!" She gasped, letting the lady finish.

The skeleton on camera was covering most of his body. He wore a dusty, blue hoodie with the gray hood up. And she wore black basketball shorts and pink slippers. He looked towards the camera with a wide grin, and a single red eye, encased in a purple aura. "This could might as well as be a historic discovery!" Said the reporter, rushing towards the skeleton with excitement of the new story. "The real question is, why did Ebott Labs decide to hide such a thing?" She asked, nearing the skeleton with glee.

Why would Chara lie to me? Why would she keep such a big secret to me and the Labs?! Is this why she didn't tell us? The new species?

"Chara?" I asked her, she was still in awe at the skeleton. Murdering different words like 'impossible' and 'this has never happened before'. She was no use talking to at the moment. My eyes were glued back into the screen with the live reporters. It's crazy how fast the news can travel. My curiosity only expanded.

She breathed to ask him a few questions, quickly being cut off as he suddenly grabbed her by the throat and tossed her onto the ground as if she were a rag doll. His mechanical laugher followed and my eyes went wide as the scene. He seemingly disappeared, and the camera fell onto the ground, still recording the incident. You could see people's feet running in every direction, their screams of terror as puddles of blood seeped into the concrete.

Oh my god.

His slow movements with his now blood stained slippers walked towards the opening. All of the screams were silenced in a flash. As if they had never been there. It was almost as if he disappeared and reappeared in different places. Teleportation. Is that even possible?! And for someone with such negative energy and malice to have it, was dangerous.

Is.. is this why she didn't want me to go? Is this what she found down there? People who had lost their insanity long ago? My eyes were horrified, I was shaking as the skeleton's beatings constantly replayed inside of my head.

His mechanical laugher caused shivers to run down my spine. He spoke in a low, deep tone. He had clearly lost his sanity a long time ago. "Gee, Paps." He said, giggling. "Humans are sure a lot messier than monsters are." He grinned, even if we could only see his feet, his tone of voice went up, causing it to be slightly sharp. "I guess we'll have a lot of fun trying to find her." He laughed. Bending down swiftly and looking at the camera, his wide, empty sockets looked into the lens upsidown with a crazed smile. "I know you're watching." He sang with insanity. "I'm coming to get you."

"You should be scared of me now, Girlie." He grinned, before the camera cut off, ending the live report.