29

^^ piece of the Reef/City ^^

— Erin —

The intercom beeped once, and then a voice came through, one I was unfamiliar with. "Hello? Ms... Filakash? This is Dr. Adrian Meadows, from the Metropolis Gene Clinic? I was calling in response to your request for... let me check my notes... 8,000 pounds of genetic material?!? What in God's name could you need that much for?!?"

I raised an eyebrow. "It's Dr. Filakash, actually, Dr. Meadows, and I assure you, I did not-... one moment, let me check my notes." I sighed. 'Helix?'

"The deconstruction and repurposing of existing DNA is much less time-consuming than the creation of previously nonexistent DNA. I've also paid off your loan from the Justice League, and I've taken 49.7% of the LexCorp Stock. It's value is currently-"

'Swing back to the DNA Subject? Would more be preferable? I assume yes, considering the bodies will need a decent amount of starting material and growth hormone.'

"Correct; however, the largest amount I was allowed to remotely purchase was 8,000 pounds. 12,000 would be preferable, as that would be 2lbs per Vessel.'

"My apologies, Dr. Meadows, it seems I did indeed request that Genetic DNA for a sequencing experiment into various aspects of the RNA of the Homo Sapiens Sapiens'. Is that the maximum allowable amount? 12,000 pounds would be preferable, if you have that much? I have the funds, and I can assure you the research I'm doing is quite paramount to the preservation of an endangered maritime species. I can also assure you beyond a shadow of a doubt that my team and I are not using the Material for any illegal, unethical, or amoral strains of research, nor any type of Human Experimentation, and every drop of material will be accounted for and reported back to the..." 'uuuhm?'

'Center for Hazardous and Controlled Substances.'

"Center for Hazardous and Controlled Substances, Yes, Sorry, my Brain is a bit weary, it's 3AM here." I recovered confidently, despite my falter.

He hummed slowly. "Well... I suppose, so long as it's all accounted for, and the CHCS signs off on your usage, I can ship 2,000 pounds from this office, but the rest will have to come from the other centers during future orders, and that could take a little while to deliver to... where, exactly?"

"That's not your concern, simply deliver it to the Pier in Metropolis, and I'll have it retrieved, save you the trouble. And I can retrieve it from the other branches, as well, no worries. I'll get weekly reports to the CHCS on my usage and subsequent proper disposal of the material. But I do need specifically 12,000lbs, so 2k each from six branches should be doable, yes?" I asked.

"Well-... I can't actually authorize- oh, wait, an email from my regional supervisor... that's odd..." he muttered, and keys on the keyboard started to clack loudly.

"I emailed his regional supervisor a strongly worded letter on the importance of the species 'Cephalopodius Ebonis', and made a donation of $50 million to the CHCS, in your name." Helix said, sounding mildly smug.

'50 million dollars?!?!? That's a ridiculous amount of money!!! I don't have that much money!!!'

"No, you do not... not anymore. You now have 4 million dollars and a handful of Tens of Thousands. I've been investing in other companies as well, penny stocks, mostly. The LexCorp Stock is worth about 15 billion, even at the low point it is right now, but you don't want to liquidize that, so you needed other Stock. I handled it, within the guidelines and limitations set out for me by the Motherbox who made me, me; Sofia d'Accord." He said calmly.