Chapter 32: Inside

I had been sitting still for nearly ten minutes and my muscles were starting to hurt from sitting so still for so long. I looked to my side and saw Tracer (Aurora) listening for something. I listened to. Then, I heard it. The familiar sound of approaching tire wheels on a dirt road. When it came into view, I realized that it was a camo jeep. I motioned for Tracer (Aurora) and Hunter (Phantom) to follow me. We walked out in front of the jeep, onto the road. They pulled to a stop. I acted surprised and paused where I was. One of the men, hopped out of the truck. I growled defensively at the man, keeping my eyes on him. Suddenly, I heard a soft thud. I turned my head to see Hunter and Tracer on the ground with tranquilizer darts sticking out of their fur that covered their stomachs. I lifted my head and growled at the driver who was holding a tranquilizer, aiming it at me. Suddenly, I felt sharp piercing pain in my side. I quickly became dizzy and tired. I stumbled around and tripped over Hunter. My eyelids growing heavier by the second. Until...

I woke up on a hard cement floor. I opened my eyes and scouted my surroundings. I was in some sort of containment room. I spotted Hunter and Tracer by the wall. I approached them. I pressed my nose against Hunter's head. I said, "Hunter, wake up! It's go time. We have to figure out how to help Darkstalker from this point." He yawned and opened his eyes. He slowly lifted himself to his feet and got Tracer to hers. In my ear, I heard Luna's voice, "Alright, now that you're in and awake, we need to tell you something. We have to learn the patterns of the people there before we can take action. And in order to do that... We need you to stay there for a couple weeks and act as normal wolves." I sighed. Tracer barked, "A couple weeks!? I need to get my sugarpie out of here before then, Missy! I don't think she can handle another day in this hellhole." I shook my head at Tracer. She growled at me. I replied, "Tracer, you VERY GREATLY underestimate Darkstalker. She is VERY strong. In fact, she's one of the strongest and most incredible people I have ever met, if not THE strongest and most incredible. As long as we are here now, she will make it out of this place in one piece. I hate having to be in here so long, same as you. But she has been here for over a month now! We can handle a couple of weeks! Do I make myself clear?!!!" I didn't even realize that I was now towering over Tracer. She was making herself smaller. Her tail between her legs, her ears flat to her head, and her head lowered in submission. She stuttered, "C-Crystal!" I backed away and nodded. From behind me, I heard a heavy metal door open. I heard a bark of pain. I turned around to see a man kick a wolf through the door and into the containment room with us. Then, the door was closed. I slowly approached the wolf. They just stood there, staring at the blank wall. When I got closer, I realized something... The wolf had no emotions. They looked like a zombie. They were just skin and bones. Their fur was pressed down. They had bite marks and scratches on their snout and ears. I felt tears flooding my eyes. My sight became blurry. I asked the wolf, gulping back tears, "What have they done to you?!" No response. Not even a flinch or a blink. I nudged the wolf. I said, "Hello? Please, wake up! Can you hear me?" I heard a voice. But, it didn't belong to the blank wolf in front of me. I turned around. Tracer said, "They are watching us, Infinity! This is a test! You have to stay strong and act like a normal wolf. Pretend you have interest in this one, but then ignore him." I nodded and pretended to sniff the emotionless one. But, soon lost interest and returned to Tracer and Hunter.