Chapter 6: Trying for a normal life

Spirit's POV:

The lady who had helped us fed everyone, called 911,  then called the cops and hadd every last kidnapper stopped.

I opened my heavy eyelids. I felt the dream sand on the corners of my eyes. I grumbled as I rolled onto my side. I heard a little whimper of happiness. I looked around. Then I was greeted by a lick on the face from Hunter. I reached out my hand petted him gently. I said, "Were you waiting for me, Hunter? Good boy. You're such a good boy." I giggled as he nuzzled his head into my arm. I looked around I was in a hospital. I moved my free hand to my head. Yep, I still have ears. I moved my hand to my lower waist. I sighed. "And a tail." I mumbled. I heard footsteps. Seconds later a doctor walked in. I smiled weakly at her. She said, "Oh, you're finally up. Do you think I can ask a couple questions?" I nodded politely. She grabbed her clipboard and a pen.

Doc: "When did you wake up?"
Me: "A couple minutes ago
Doc: How do you feel?
Me: Tired, weak, and happy.
Doc: Who is this animal?
Me: Family. I bonded with him in the woods when his wolf pack tried to attack us while we were escaping the prison.
Doc: I see. And how did you escape?

I froze. She looked up at me after a minute of silence. I sighed. I looked at the door. I said, "Ma'am, I don't know how to explain it. I have some kind of powers or something. I....I... i somehow broke the prison bars and a wall to make an escape route. That''s all I remember before I passed out." She looked at me with the face that said I want the truth. "Ma'am, I''m being one hundred percent honest. Ask my friends who were there with me. Here give me a paper that you don't need." She looked through a drawer and handed me a blank sheet of paper. I sat up in my hospital bed. I motioned for Hunter to back up. He sat down by my bed. I closed my eyes and cleared my mind. I imagined the paper crumpling up into a ball. I heard crinkling. Then I imagined it opening back up with a drawing of the scene that just happened two seconds ago. Every last detail. Down to the wall behind the doctor. I opened my eyes. The paper dropped onto my lap. The doctor looked at me in awe. I turned to look at Hunter. He was lying on the dog bed made out of blankets that I'm guessing the doctors made for him. Then I felt my eyelids drooping. They were growing heavier by the second.

"Shhhh... You're gonna wake her up." I heard a familiar laugh followed by familiar silent giggles. I opened my eyes. I mumbled, "I'm already awake. Plus, I'd rather be awake in a hospital bed than asleep in one." I turned over and saw Shelby. She still had her adorable fluffy ears and tail. I jumped out of bed and tightly hugged her. She hugged back. I heard barking. I pulled away from the hug. I saw Shelby's wolf part of her new family playing with Hunter. I smiled at them. I turned back around to Shelby. I said, "What happens now?" She shrugged. She said, "I guess we're gonna start trying for a normal life."

"But how are we gonna do that with our ears, tail, and new 'powers'?" I said. She looked down at her feet. She took a deep breath and slowly let it out. Her ears laid against her head and disappeared. She looked at me and said, "They give us medicine to help us hide these new parts of our lives, when in public. But they will not let us go back to our old houses. We will still go to the same school,  so we will all have to live at one of the other's houses." I nodded.