forty

Brynn's POV:

I laid my head on my brother's shoulder as Elle slept soundly on the waiting room sofa. I had been in LA for five days and so far nothing new on my mom. She was in a coma. I unlocked my phone as my brother continued to watch sports highlights on the tv. I went to my contacts and ran my finger over Auston's number. I wanted to press it, but I decided against it and closed out locking my phone. I heard Ryan scoff.

"For the love of all that is holy, just talk to the man already." He said.

I looked at him confused. "What do you mean?"

He shook his head with a laugh. "Brynn, I know more about you than you know about yourself. I'm your twin. I know you and Auston probably aren't seeing eye to eye with the whole mom thing so I'm not surprised you got into a fight. However, I am surprised you went this long without talking. Your first major fight as husband and wife. Congratulations! Now talk to each other."

I looked at my phone and stood up. I walked outside and went to my contacts. I pressed Auston's name and clicked call. I listened to it ring before his voicemail picked up. I sighed and hung up as I walked back into the hospital. Ryan looked at me as I shook my head before the doctor walked out. I rushed over to join my brother and father as I picked up Elle.

"Anything?" Ryan asked the doctor.

He looked at us with a sad smile. "I'm sorry to say this, but your mother's condition hasn't changed. She isn't getting better. Her injuries, they aren't healing. At this point, the only thing that's left to do is up to you guys."

We all gasped as I closed my eyes tightly. I felt a tear roll down my cheek. My dad laid a hand on my shoulder.

"So we should say our goodbyes?" My dad asked.

The doctor nodded. "I'm so sorry. We've done everything we can."

"Thank you so much. For everything." I told the doctor.

He nodded. We all looked at each other before my dad spoke up.

"Brynn, you can go first. Really." He said to me.

I looked at him and nodded as Ryan took Elle. I opened the door and pulled up a chair close to the hospital bed. I grabbed my mom's lifeless hand and started to softly talk to her. I wasn't sure how long I sat in there. I heard the door open and assumed it was my brother.

"Ryan, I'm not done yet." I said through sniffles.

I felt a kiss on my forehead and turned to Auston. He smiled at me as I jumped up to hug him.

"Auston," I said happily. "You came."

He nodded. "I didn't mean what I said. I'm sorry. I would want to be there if it was my mom."

I shook my head. "It's okay. I should've seen it from your point of view. My mother certainly wasn't the most kind person to you."

He smiled and wrapped his hands around my waist. "How is she?"

I teared up. "We're all saying our goodbyes. There's nothing more they can do."

He nodded with a sigh. "Do you mind?"

He looked at me as he motioned towards the chair. I nodded and moved so he could sit. He grabbed her hand and looked at her.

"Hello, Beth. It's Auston. I know we never always got along, but I want you to know it's okay to rest. Your family, they will be in good hands. Your daughter especially. She is the light of my life. Her, Elle, and our new little one. I don't believe you're a bad person. I will promise you that Brynn will never have to want for anything. I'm going to take care of her." Auston said.

I smiled as he let go of her hand and stood up. He wrapped his arms around my waist as we walked out. My dad and brother smiled at us.

"I guess it's my turn." Ryan said.

He patted Auston's back and walked into the room. My dad looked at us and held his hand out to Auston. Auston looked at him surprised as he grabbed his hand.

"Auston, I haven't exactly been the best father to Brynn. And now that you're married, I know I haven't been the best father-in-law to you. I just want you to know that I'm going to change. I do want to be apart of your life. I want to be a part of Brynn's and Elle's. Most importantly, I want to be apart of the baby's life. I hope you can forgive me," My dad said.

Auston chuckled and pulled my dad in for a hug. "No hard feelings. I'm just glad that we can all get along now."

Ryan walked out of the room. He looked at my dad. My dad smiled. "I've said my goodbyes already. I think it's time."

We all took a deep breath as the doctor walked up. "Everybody ready?"

We all nodded as we walked into the room. My dad and brother stood on one side as Auston and I stood on another. The doctor stood by the machine as my dad signed the papers.

"I know none of this is easy. Again, I just want you to know that we did everything we could to help Beth." The doctor said.

He took the papers from my dad and allowed us to say one last goodbye. He walked over to the machine and unhooked her from it as he took a step back.

"So what happens now?" I asked quietly as Auston tightened his grip slightly around my waist.

"Well, I can get you an accident report along with all the medical records of the surgeries if you want to takes this to a lawyer. These will also help you plan a funeral. If yo i wish to that is." The doctor told us.

We nodded. "I'll give you all some time alone."

"I can't believe she's really gone." Ryan said.

My father sat down and gently grabbed my moms hand. Auston laid a kiss to my forehead.

"Everything's going to be okay," He whispered to me. "I promise."