The Highway

I lay there in the dark still as possible. A lager group of dead are allying past the SUV we are in. I look over at Cass who is also awake hiding under his backpack. Dean is hiding under his coat in the front seat next to Cass. Charlie is in the back on the floor like me hiding under her jacket. I hide under my backpack like Cass. A few minutes ago I noticed them coming and woke up everybody.

"How many are there Charlie?" I hear Dean whisper.

"We have a while." She says, I hear Dean groan quietly from the front seat.

Or it might be a Z outside the truck.

"Hey guys?" I ask.

"Yea?" I hear everyone ask simultaneously.

"We should probably lock the doors just in case." I say quietly flipping the lock on the door against my head.

I move slowly and do the same to the door across me. I hear Cass and Dean both quietly flip their locks too. Charlie doesn't have any locks by her so she stays silent. I continue to stare out the window as the dark figures pass us. A few moans every now and then and a couple of them bumping against the SUV. After about twenty minutes they are gone and Dean takes a shift and I continue to lay on the ground instead of getting back up in the seat. I close my eyes and start to fall asleep but off in the distance a car alarm goes off.

"A zombie?" Charlie asks.

"I think so." I say.

"One must have bumped against a car a little ways up." Cass says.

"That's surprising." Dean says front the front seat.

"Why?" I ask.

"Cause a car actually still has enough battery to go off." He says.

"There are going to be Z's flooding this highway soon." I say sitting up.

"Yea, we should probably cover the windows." Charlie says hanging her coat up on one of the back windows.

I look in my bag and find my sleeping bag and duct tape. I find a couple shirts I had picked up secretly at the grocery store from a couple days ago.

"Here Cass. Tape the sleeping bag on the windshield. And give me yours." I say handing him my sleeping bag. He nods not saying anything and hands me his.

"Charlie when Cass is done with the tape tape his sleeping bag up on the back windshield." I say handing her his sleeping back she also nods.

"Here Keigen." Cass says handing me the duct tape.

"Thanks." I say handing t back to Charlie.

I find grab my shirts and pin them up on the windows near me. I use the tape over my shirts just in case and so does everybody else on their windows. I look at the duct tape in my forearms that are starting to wear and tear.

I decide to undo the tape and put new tape on. I look at my arms with my flashlight and seem to have an increasing tan line. I put new duct tape on my forearms comfortably making sure not to cut off circulation.

"Cass do you need to change your tape?" I ask.

"Sure." He says reaching back for the tape.

I give it to him and lay down and continue to listen to the car alarm go off. After laying there for awhile I notice a strange feeling in my pants. The feeling I used to dread in Highschool. My period. Did I forget to take birth control? I shouldn't have my period for another week. I think to myself rembering I still have plenty of bottles for a few months back.