Woke

Cass's POV

As we drive along a bumpy country road I get shook awake. I open my eyes and look at Keigen who is turned around looking at me. I smile looking into her beautiful sea foam green eyes, the sun hitting them perfectly. Her shirt curls bounce as we continue down the road.

"Hello, earth to Novak?" She asks giving me an odd look.

"Oh, yea?" I ask snapping back to reality.

"It's your turn to drive." She says as Mick hops out of the driver side and opening the back door.

"Oh okay." I say and get out of the Jeep, walk around the front, and get in the driver seat.

As I close my door I step carefully on the gas moving at a steady pace.

"So Mick where are we?" I ask as we continue down the bumpy road making my stomach uneasy.

"We should be in northern Kansas." Keigen says in stern voice.

I nod and look at the setting sun for a moment. I then look at our surroundings realizing we will not find anywhere to sleep before the sun sets and it becomes completely dark. I decide to drive through the night. About an hour after the sun has set Mick falls asleep peacefully in the backseat. Keigens turns around and looks at the figure and smiles to herself. I look away quickly focusing on the road.

I clear my throat, "So do you trust him?" I ask her and she turns to look at me.

"I don't really know, but then again I don't know if I trust you." She laughs. I hadn't heard laugh before, it was nice.

"Yeah." I say laughing with her, we fall silent.

"So how did you manage by yourself?" I ask.

"What do you mean?" She asks furrowing her eyebrows.

"You know, you are a woman out here alone. Some man could have killed you or worse." I say instantly regretting the words that had left my mouth.

"Well, I managed. Just like how managed without me. Plus the dead are usually more difficult to deal with than men are." She says in a sultry voice.

"Oh, sorry. Didn't mean to offend you."

"It's fine, I did have a couple difficult run ins before with humans, including our previous mishap. You know I honestly don't get how you survived without me though." She says smirking at me.

"Well, I used to have a silencer on my gun, cause I stole it from some store when the apocalypse first started. Then I got robbed and they decided to steal my bullets and silencer. So it wasn't to hard to stay alive until that event. So after that I decided to just avoid the Z's. That's why I didn't hide when I saw you, you looked like you would be a good asset considering the machete wielding." I explain to her and she smiles to herself.

"Huh, why didn't you find a knife or bat?" She asks me playing with a curl.

"I tried to but I couldn't as I wasn't going to rob somebody, that would be like sending somebody to their death." I say thinking back to a night where I had snuck into a small camp and almost stole their weapons.

But decided to only steal some food and water.

"Oh, I guess that makes sense." She says looking out the window.

The conversation is over, I take a quick look back at Mick a man my age with dark brown hair and striking blue eyes. He is laying lazily across the back row. As we drive his snoring gradually becomes loader. We make it through the night and by morning Keigen is driving. I drift off into sleep as Keigen and Mick talk about the best or funniest Z kills.