Sam

As soon as I turn the light on the room is lit up. It's a small room but it has a bed, dresser, and looks as if it might have a bathroom. A glint of happiness sparks in me. I haven't seen a bathroom in ages. Let alone have a bedroom. I turn around and look at Sam who is still standing by the door.

"Well I hope you get settled in nicely. I'll have somebody bring you your bag and machete. I'm late for dinner, my wife Jessica. You might meet her tomorrow." Just then I notice the wedding ring on his finger.

I smile and he nods leaving the room. I close the door behind him and run to the bathroom. It has a shower, toilet, and sink. I check to see if the water is running and I am filled with joy when water spills out of the faucet. I take a shower which feels wonderful. I look around the shower and find shampoo and body wash. I wash my hair and body and hop out. There is a towel on a rack and I grab it and wrap it around me. I hear a knock on the door and pick my gun up off the floor. I tip toe to the door and swing it open. I hold the gun up the potential enemy. At the door is a handsome man. His hair is brown and he is half a foot taller than me. He seems startled and backs up. I put my gun down seeming as this man is no threat.

"I'm sorry if I startled you." He says in a British accent, I smirk.

"Who are you?" I ask him.

"Mick Davies, and you are Keigen, correct?" He asks politely.

"Yes."

"I believe this is yours." He says holding up a grey backpack and a machete.

"Oh, thank you." I say grabbing the items on my bed.

"You seem busy so I'll get going." He says smiling. I look down at my towel and my cheeks turn red.

"Oh, yea um see ya?" I say closing my eyes tightly.

"Goodbye." He says and closes the door behind him.

I smile to myself and sit on my new bed. I open my bag and find two pair of clothes, toilet paper, a toothbrush and three things of tooth paste, a hairbrush, a bracelet, and my ring. The one my mother had given me before she passed away. I slip the ring on my left middle finger. I smile at the white stone wrapped in gold. I stand up and walk into the bathroom slipping on my clothes. I brush my teeth and my hair then lay down in the bed. I stare at the ceiling for hours thinking. How long will I be trapped in this place? I ponder that thought in my mind before I drift off to sleep with my weapons by my side.

———

I wake up to the sound of gunshots in the hallway. I jump up, gun and blade in each hand. I open my door slightly see forty or more zombies walking down the hallway. I quickly but quietly close it. I look around the room realizing there are no windows. I look to the ceiling for a vent and find on in the back corner. I pull the dresser over to vent and climb on top quickly. I pull the vent open and strangely it has no screws. It strikes me this might be a test. I climb up into the vent and start to crawl down the left side. I don't know how many rooms down Cass is so I look in each room peaking through the slits. About ten rooms down is Cade's room. I see him still sleeping. I wonder to myself how is still alders but I don't care. I push the shaft door open and go feet first out of the vent. I jump down onto the floor stealthily. I walk over to Cass and shake him. He wakes up and with quick reflexes pulls his gun on me.

"Oh, Keigen it's just you. What are you doing in my room?" He asks giving me an odd look.

"There are like forty or more zombies in the hallway. Did you not hear the gunshots?" I ask him raising an eyebrow a little frantic.

"No I didn't hear them. And are you serious?" He gets up and runs to the door cracking it open. He watches the zombies shuffle sluggishly around.

"Oh my god." He says closing the door. He locks it behind him.

"Yea, I know."

"Wait how did you even get in my room?"

"The vent." I say pointing. He furrows his eyebrows and gives a small smile.

"Huh."

"So what are we going to do?"

"How big are the vents?"

———

"Are you sure you can fit." I call down to him.

"Yes." He says backpack in hand.

We crawl to my room and I grab my things while he waits in the vent. I grab all my stuff and we continue to crawl. After an hour of crawling the vent comes to an end. I open the last shaft and the room is an empty kitchen. I jump down and so does Cass.

"Hey, maybe this is our chance to escape." Cass says to me.

"Yea, maybe." I say back as I search the kitchen. I find a box crackers and three water bottles. We put it all in my backpack and exit the kitchen quietly. This hallway is empty. We walk down the hall and at the end is a staircase. We decide to go up a floor to find a window. After three stories up we can't find any windows. The hallways are mostly empty besides some guards and a few people that walk by us that don't even acknowledge our presence. We see a man nice woman with blonde hair and I walk up to her. Cass grabs my arm wary of what I'm about to do. I give him a stern look and he lets go and sighs.

"Hello." I say to the woman. She smiles at me, she is beautiful with blue eyes and a perfect build.

"Oh, hello."

"Me and my friend were just trying to find the exit. Sam sent us to guard the outside. But it's our first time and he neglected to tell us where the exit is. Could you help us out please?" I say in the sweetest voice I can conjure up.

"Oh, um of course. Up three more stories and go down the hallway and take a right and left they are the big metal doors. You can't miss them." She smiles politely at us. We smile back and head to the stairs.

"Wow I can't believe that worked." He says smiling next to me.