Growling

Grrrrrr!

The awful sound wakes me up. At first I think it's my stomach which isn't unusual. When I realize the sound isn't coming from my stomach I jump up out of the blankets and turn to see, nothing. I look around for the man that had slept not even feet away but don't see a soul in sight. I hear the growl once more and peak through the window and see a zombie not even a foot away from the window. I sigh and sneak outside forgetting about Cass Novak. I pull my machete out of my sheath that I had worn to bed. I look at the zombie who notices me and walks towards me. I swing my blade at it getting it caught in it neck. My eyes widen and I stumble backwards. I lift my leg up, kicking to the ground. I try to pull my blade out but it doesn't budge. I decide to smash the abominations head. I lift my black combat boot and smash the zombies skull. When it doesn't move I attempt to pull my blade out once again. It budgets and after a bit of effort it slides out of the rotten flesh. I turn to the hous and jog inside. I run through the house searching for the man.

"Cass? Cass Novak?" I shout throughout the house. I run back to the living room checking my bags to make sure everything is still in my bag.

"I swear if he stole my shit, I will kill him!" I whisper harshly to myself. I hear a door open. The sound echoes throughout the house. I look down the hallway and see Novak.

"Where the hell were you?" I say harshly my face tinted red.

"I just went outside to pee." He says giving me an odd look.

"Well you scared the shit out of me. I thought you left and stole my stuff or something." I say as he walks towards me.

"Well maybe you should have a little more trust in me." He says raising an eyebrow getting closer. He looks down at me giving me a mischievous smile. I feel myself blush for some strange reason.

"I just met you, earn my trust and I will give it to you." I say turning before I do anything stupid.

———

About an hour later we are packed up and ready to go. As we make our way through the town I see a group of zombies feeding on a fresh body. I hold my finger up to Cass, he nods back at me. We step lightly and make our way past the flesh eaters without even catching ones attention. We exit the small town and make our way down a country road.

"So Keigen would you mind telling me now why we are going to Oklahoma." Cass asks as we walk side by side. I sigh and look at the road ahead.

"Well I believe my brother is there. He is probably sixteen now. But when the outbreak took place I was in South Carolina on spring break. I called my brother before the cell towers went dead and he was still alive. I told him to stay in Oklahoma at our house for as long as possible. I'm going there to save him. So we can be together again." I say, I feel my eyes start to water but push the sad thoughts away. My core hardens as I crush my sad feelings once again. Soon I don't know if I will ever be able to cry again.

"Oh, sorry for asking. It must be hard." He says trying to pat my shoulder comfortingly. It awkward so I give him a look and he stops. The road continues through a wooded area. The trees seem to spread for miles. I stay vigilant as we walk along the road. Ready for anything to jump out at me. Just then as I suspected I see zombies coming out if he brush. The come towards us at a fast pace. They must have just ate or just turned. I slice the first ones head off. I hear a loud boom and look over at Cass who is holding a gun. Another boom then another. Is this man insane?! I think to myself. I cut another zombies head off. There are no more around. But there will be some soon if we don't get out of here.