The Odds are Against Us

We exit the store each with new backpacks. We had split everything we had found equally just in the case we split up. We walk down the empty parking lot and onto the street. We continue down the road and after making it farther into town we start seeing more and more zombies.

I look ahead at a group of living dead not facing me, Mick, and Cass. We all stay quiet and turn down an alleyway, when we exit we are face to face with a gas station. There has to be some sort of map in there. I think to myself. Mick signals for us to be quiet and head to the gas station across the street. We quickly scurry across the street and by the doors. I pull on the handle and the door flys open. I quietly walk into the small building with Mick and Cass following. I hurry over to the desk and look to see if there is any type of map on it. All the desk has on it is empty candy boxes. A feeling of dysphoria washes over me. At that moment a zombie rushes out of the bathroom and tackling Mick.

"Shit!" I say and run over to him.

The zombie and Mick struggling on the ground I try to push it off. But as soon as I touch it it pushes down on Mick and takes a large bite out of his left bicep.

"No!" Mick yells.

I hurry and cuts the zombies head off and push the body off of Mick. He groans and looks at his bicep and tears come to his eyes.

"I'm so sorry." I say sorrowfully sitting by the wounded Mick. I look up and Cass is standing by us.

"It won't be long." Cass says nervously running a hand through his hair.

"Kill me." Mick says to me.

"What?" I ask him my voice breaking.

"I don't want to turn into one of those awful things. Kill me." He says holding my hand tightly.

"I can't."

"Please." He begs me.

"Mick I will not kill you, I will wait until your heart stops beating the puncture your scull before you turn. But I will not kill a living person. Especially my friend." I say pushing a price of hair out of my face.

"Okay, just don't leave me here. Bury me, please." He asks then groaning once more.

"Okay, Mick." I say holding his hand as he takes his last breath. I then take my knife out and stab him in the head.

"God." Cass says putting his hands over his face.

"Come on let's find a damn map." I say and walk around the isles.

At last I find a map and it's a map of Kansas of all it's hot spots. I pick up two and hand one to Cass.

"Help me carry him." I say to Cass and pick up Micks feet.

Cass nods and picks up his upper body by gripping under his shoulders. Since there wasn't much in the small gas station we decide to then. We carry him quietly outside and into the grass by the gas station. I run back into the gas station and find small hand shovels. I grab a couple and run back outside.

"Here." I say and hand a shovel to Cass.

"Look it's nobody's fault Keigen." Cass says to me.

"I know Cass. But he wouldn't be here if it wasn't for me. Okay? So let's just bury him like he wanted us to." I say and start digging.

"Alright." He says and starts to dig.

By nightfall we have him buried.

———

We start to walk down the dark road out of the south side of town near the gas station. I carry Micks bags in my hands as we walk silently. Then unexpectedly Cass laces his hand in mine. I look up at him in the moonlight. His gorgeous jaw structure and dark hair. And his striking blue eyes that when I look into makes my insides melt.