Strangers

It's about noon when the sun is at its highest in the sky. I look down the small road that will soon lead to a highway. It has been a full four hours since my nightmare occurred. It was a horrible dream. And it's gets me thinking. Mick or my mom wouldn't have died if it wasn't for me. Could Cass die because of me? And what about Jack? My poor little brother is probably terrified without me.

I continue to stare at the waves rising off the hot worn down blacktop. Soon enough a figure appears in the distance. I look out into the fields where the figure is standing. I decide to leave the thing alone since it's so far away. But then another appears next to it.

"Do you see that Cass." I say pointing at the two figures in the distance.

"Yea, they don't seem to be walking like the dead though." He says stopping and staring at them.

I do the same and squint my eyes as they draw closer. One of them has long red hair and the other has short brown hair.

"Who are they?" I ask aloud.

"Do we want to find it? We haven't had much luck with strangers." Cass says unweary.

"Yea I guess you are right." I say and we continue walking. Then I hear yelling coming from the two figures.

"Hello?" The red headed one yells.

Me and Cass stop once more and turn to the people. As the red headed one waves and walks towards us the short haired man looks agrivated trying to tell her to shut up.

"Hello?" She yells again and makes her way towards us.

The girl around my age gets closer within ten feet and I can tell she has brown eyes and red wavy hair.

"Yes?" Cass asks to the girl.

"Yea, um I'm Charlie and this is my brother Dean." She says pointing to the short haired man next to her.

"Uh hi I'm Cass and this is my friend Keigen. What do you want?" Cass asks slightly standing in front of me. The man has light brown hair slightly spiked and seems to be just as suspicious as me and Cass.

"We well um I wanted to know if we could walk with you guys. We are headed to Texas." She says shielding the sun from her eyes.

"Um I don't know." I say moving out from behind Cass.

"Okay see Charlie they are just as weary about strangers as I am and you are supposed to be. I'm sorry we will just keep walking." The man names Dean says.

"Wait please. I'm getting tired of walking with Mr. Grumpy 24/7. It would be nice to find some nice people to be able to become allies with. Please we have our own food and everything." Charlie says stepping onto the road.

"Um..." I say thinking.

"Sure." Cass says caving.

"Oh thank you. It'll be nice to talk to new people." She says stepping toward me.

Her brother Dean doesn't say a word but looks just against this as I do. He looks to be a little older than Cass but not by much. He is scruffy and nice to look at no doubt. After an hour Charlie has already told me she is completely into girls including the sorry if that makes you uncomfortable but get over it thing. Which makes me laugh since I have never been against anything of the sort.