Nightfall

As we walk along the dimming road side I look to my right at Mick. Who took off his sweatshirt and is now wearing a white long sleeve shirt against his black pants the bottoms tucked into combat boots. I then look to my left at Cass who is wearing a black tight fitting t-shirt and jeans with brown work boots. I then look ahead seeing a town in the distance.

"We won't make it there by nightfall." I say looking at the distant buildings.

"Well as long as we make it there tonight we will be fine." Cass says squinting his eyes.

"Maybe we should start jogging, we haven't gotten much exercise." Mick says giving a faint smile.

"Okay." I say and look at Cass for an answer.

"Let's go." He says smiling and we all start to jog against the setting sun.

As we running our bags bounce the inside contents making sounds clanking together. We jog for ten more minutes cutting the distance between us and the town in half. Now that we are closer we can tell the tow is larger than we expected.

"I didn't expect it to be a large town." Cass says controlling his breathing.

"Yea, it would be better if is was a small town because larger towns means more living dead." Mick says wiping sweat off his forehead.

"Yea, but we don't really have a choice, so let's go." I say and we continue jogging.

By the time we reach the edge of the town the sun has long set beneath the horizon. The first house we see on the edge of the town.

"Quiet, there could be Z's anywhere." I say holding a finger to my mouth.

"It's lucky we found this town before night, you know with you losing the map and all." Mick whispers to me as we step carefully into the yard.

"Get over it already would you." I whisper rolling my eyes in the moonlight.

We approach the concrete steps quietly. Cass leads the way onto the concrete porch, he opens the door as wuietly as possibly. Surprisingly the door is already cracked open. He whistles into the quiet house, suddenly there is noise coming from up the stairs. Cass waves is in, Cass waits by the door looking into the living room and kitchen on both sides of him. While he does that me and Mick go upstairs to find the noise. The noise is coming from the first door on the right. I open the door fast and out comes a Z, Mick stabs it's head fast and quietly. I look in the dark room and see a crib and bed with a dead woman laying on its dirty sheets. I slowly walk over to the corpse to make sure it dead and stop by the crib and a tear comes to my eye. Laying there is the remains of a baby. I take a blanket off the ground and carefully cover the dead infant. I look at Mick who is standing by the door and he frowns. We leave the room putting the dead Z in there closing the door behind us. We check the rest of the rooms which are empty, we grab all the blankets and pillows from all the rooms except the on occupied by the corpses and make beds. We make sure the door are locked and put blankets over the living room windows. Cass pulls a lamp out of his bag and turns it on, the low light of the lamp slightly brightens up the room.

"Granola bars?" I ask pulling nine of them out of my bag.

"Yes!" Mick says smiling. As we eat a question comes to my mind.

"Hey Mick?" I say looking over at the beautifully sculpted man.

"Yes?"

"Is Mick your full name?" I ask eating my granola bar.

"No, it's Michael." He says smiling.

"What about you Cass!" I say turning to the other handsome man.

"No, it's uh Castiel." He says a little embarrassed.

"Castiel?" I ask smiling at the odd name.

"Yea my mom named me after an angel." He says chuckling.

"Huh." I say smiling. We all lay down and Cass turns the lamp down low and we all slowly fall asleep.

———

I slowly open my eyes to be met with almost complete darkness. I look to my right to see a sleeping Mick but and empty makeshift bed where Cass should be. I sit up and look around the room, he isn't here. I stand up quietly and walk into the kitchen, empty. I quietly walk up the steps, machete in hand. As I make my way up the steps a room on my lefts door is open. I tiptoe up to the door and see Cass looking out a window his back to me.

"Cass?" I say quietly but loud enough for him to hear. He seems startled and turns around.

"Keigen?" He asks looking at me.

"What are you doing?" I ask leaning against the frame.

"Oh, just thinking." He says leaning against the window seal.

"I thought you had ditched us or worse." I say I little irritated walking towards him.

"You were worried." He says smiling. God that smile.

"No, okay maybe a little." I say stepping closer.

"I thought we already talked about the trust issue?" He asks standing up straight.

"Remember Castiel Novak we only met a week ago." I say biting my lower lip taking another step forward.

"I think I have proved myself, don't ya think?" He asks smirking stepping towards me.

"You could say so."

We are only a foot apart when he takes another step towards me. With tension in the air he leans down and kisses me. He holds my waist with one arm and his other hand holding my chin. I kiss him back putting my arms loosely around his neck. He pulls away and I look into his striking blue eyes. They are even noticeable in the dark.

"I've been waiting forever for this moment." He says smiling at me, I smile back curious about him.

He pulls me tight against him, I run my hands through his hair and kiss home again. We turn and he presses me up against the wall. He kisses me passionately and kiss him back. Starting to pull my top off we hear the stairs creak.

"Cass? Keigen?" We hear Mick call from the stairs.

"Shit." I whisper.

I pull my black tank top down and pull away from Cass. I rush out of the room toward the stairs.

"Yea?" I say as Mick makes his way up the stairs.

"Where's Cass?" He asks confused.

"Right here, we were just talking about how we were going to get to her brother without a map." Cass says to dazed Mick.

"Oh, I heard sounds coming from upstairs then saw you guys were gone so I thought I would check." He says still lingering on the stairwell.

"Yea, we think we are going to try to find a convenience store when it gets light out, maybe we will find a map there." I say to him.

Satisfied with the answer her nods and goes back down the stairs into the living room. Biting my lower lip I follow, Cass not far behind. We all lay back down not a word spoken. Soon after I fall asleep thinking about the encounter with Cass that had took place only minutes ago.