Chapter Fifty Three - To the Survivors

After the walker incident and the possibility of someone watching me through the trees, I reminded Abraham of how dark it was getting. At first he just grunted and insisted on finishing, that was until I let him know of the mass amounts of food we found earlier. His head popped out from underneath the short bus for the first time that night and sense of relief washed over my features as he happily packed up his things.

Of course, I would love to continue helping Abraham work on the bus, however, the overwhelming feeling of being out in the open started creeping back to me. I hadn't felt that way since I was alone for the very first time, the feeling back when I watched Liz die and after John nearly cost me my life.

I tried to stop my fidgeting hands by shoving them in my pockets. It didn't seem to work so I stuck close to Abraham's side as we walked much too slow to the church doors hoping his presence would help my nerves. I couldn't tell if it did.

Once inside the white church walls my mood completely shifted much like the atmosphere of the building had. Softly lit candles scattered the room on every surface bringing a warm orange glow to the once cold damp church. Loud happy chatter filled the air as my new family wandered around the room piling food onto paper plates.

Smiles could be found on every face. One started pulling at my own lips as I watched Rick make silly faces at Judith. Tara grinned ear to ear as she grabbed a can of soda.

My eyes lit up as I spotted the buffet of food at the front table through the crowd of people. Abraham already left my side to go fix a plate for himself so I decide to do the same.

I squeezed past everyone standing in the middle aisle on my way toward a full stomach. The table before me was full from side to side, lined with the most warm food I'd seen in years. Across the table runner sat steaming corn, rice, green vegetables, beans, canned fruit, and most importantly pasta. A few other options and condiments littered in between those but didn't look as appetizing, plus I knew all of this would fill me up anyway.

Abraham stepped out of my way revealing Carl at the other end of the table. He stood filling his plate with food, a smile lingering at his lips but he didn't say anything, too lost in the mass amounts of food before him.

I began to pick what I liked, piling pasta onto my plate first. I hadn't had it in such a long time. Technically I hadn't had any meal in such a long time but nothing could be better than in that moment.

My stomach growled at the sight of it all. Carl gave me a smirk before grabbing a plastic fork and leaving to sit down. I chose a few other items, packing my plate full before grabbing a fork and a drink, too.

I made my way to the pews Carl and I sat in earlier today. Carl slid down the bench to let me sit next to him and I took a seat happily.

"You were outside for awhile." Carl remarked before taking a bite of his meal. I nodded slowly trying to finish chewing before answering.

"Yeah, I was helping out Abraham and just enjoying the quiet." I answered softly. He nodded his head before replying.

"I found something today." He reported. I look over to him inquisitively urging him to continue. "I already showed dad but, on the back of the church there are these marks. I don't exactly know what to make of them but someone was trying to get in. They weren't scratches from walkers, they were definitely from knives." He paused to read my features. My brows stayed furrowed in confusion and worry. "There was also a message."

"What did it say?" I asked quickly as the nerves from before returned to the pit of my stomach. The church seemed to go quiet as all my focus fell of Carl.

"You'll burn for this." He paused letting me take it in. "It doesn't mean Gabriel is a bad guy but, it means something." He sighed before taking another bite.