Chapter Ten - Leaving

Once I figured out that someone had locked my door in the night, it was too late and I had already fallen asleep before I could get up or even fully register it.

When I got out of bed in the morning, changed back into my jeans and still empty holster, I headed straight for the door. I turned the handle half way until it stopped and couldn't stop the curse that left my lips. I twisted it a few times in denial, but still, nothing.

With nothing left to do I retreated back into my mind, making excuses and explanations. Maybe it was just early in the morning and no one was awake yet. On that thought, I walked over to the window and peered through the murky glass. The sun had just come up leaving the sky a stunning orange. Knowing how this new world worked, everyone rose with the sun considering we need all the daylight we could get.

I huffed through clenched teeth. I'd just have to wait it out until someone unlocked the door.

I sat in that room for what felt like hours rummaging through the closet and desk to see if there was anything useful like clothes or hidden food. I found a pair of jeans in the half empty dresser that fit nicely and along with some colourful socks, nothing major but it was good to find extra.

I had figured the small room was originally a guest bedroom or the room of someone who had moved out to leave for college when that was still the life we lived. There were no pictures or anything decretive on the walls and shelves, the only thing left being a stopped clock, some forgotten notebooks, and a few decretive throw pillows.

To make it worse, there wasn't much to see out of the one window either. The other houses beside ours blocked most of the view of the neighbourhood, but I learned if you pressed your face to the glass on the right side near the window frame, you could just about see over the houses across the street and almost see the road in front.

Eventually the sun was fully visible and I could hear muffled conversation traveling through the ductwork and underneath the carpet. Someone with the key had to be up by now.

I paced back over to the door to try the handle again. Unsurprisingly, it didn't budge. With frustration and boredom to fuel me, I rapped on the door with the palm of my hand hoping to get the attention of Carl if he was still in his room. Anyone, honestly.

"Avery?" The sound of Glenn's voice was music to my ears.

"Glenn? Thank god, I'm dying of boredom. Could you ask Rick or Carl or anybody really to unlock the door?" I begged through the crack in the frame.

"Yeah you got it, one sec'." I could hear the laughter in his voice and his boots hitting the ground with each step down the hall. I frowned not finding it particularly funny to forget someone in a locked room. I suppose I wouldn't go hungry if I was left by this group. I had food and water in my backpacks and I liked my own personal space more than anyone else's. I'd always been independent, but knowing there was life just beyond the door killed me.

I strained my ears to try to hear any sort of movement coming back down the hall. Quiet footsteps started up the stairs and grew louder as they came toward my room.

"Step back." Rick's gruff voice pushed its way though the wooden door, as if knowing I was pressed against it.

"Okay." I replied while doing as told and stepping away. Rick fiddled with the lock before swinging opening the door wide, setting me free. "Finally, seems like you forgot about me in there." I brushed off not wanting to show my distaste in the matter. I stepped toward him to the hall when suddenly his palm came down on the doorframe directly in front of my face. Startled, I jumped back looking from his wide hand to his cold face.

"I didn't forget about you. Left you here for a reason." With brows furrowed, Rick initiated an intense staring contest. Was he trying to scare me, I wondered and concluded that if he was then it was damn well working. When I didn't make a move to question him he dropped his arm back down to his side.