Chapter Seventy Four - The River

After Daryl, Tyreese, Glenn, and Maggie returned to the barn empty handed, Rick let them rest for a moment before corralling us down the road in the direction of Noah's community. They said there were only small homes and farm houses around, so unless we could get a tractor moving we'd have to continue by foot for now.

Noah stayed hot on Rick's trail, eager to get home and to lead the way. I kept an eye on him but it was hard to do so since I took my usual spot at the end of the line. The weaving bodies of my fellow survivors bobbed through the space between him and I.

Carl decided to take a different position today, I should've expected it but the blatant attempt to stay away from me pulled on my heartstrings. I wouldn't give into that pain though; I ignored it with every step forward I took.

The whole group's order seemed to be askew that time around. Michonne took up the rear like always but now Eugene was near the front rather than the middle and Abraham was just ahead of me. Beth had been pushed back into the middle but this time Daryl stayed by her side rather than wandering around the edges on the hunt. Sasha took up the front as well with her brother standing close with him and throwing me the occasional glance through the horde of our crowded group. I ignored that too, but knew it would soon get hard to ignore an entire world that was scared of you.

We were then off the road, opting for softer ground to walk on and a more direct path to Noah's. My aching feet and worn down boots thanked the soft moss underneath them as it cushioned every step.

With dehydration and hygiene on everyone's minds you'd think we'd notice sooner the sound of soft rushing waters. Slowly but surly, everyone's heads perked up at the delightful sound. Daryl was already off of our path and following the sound of refreshing waves before everyone had the thought. I should've realized the signs, a few more bugs than usual, green moss, and clovers. The serene environment that came with a stream.

The river weaved into view as we all followed the sound without having to speak. It was a sight to behold, one of the most glorious things I'd seen for a long time. The water looked cold and sharp as it cut through the ground and sloshed against the muddy bank. A few small rocks acted as a step into a calmer clearing before turning and cutting down into faster waters again rushing past us. The river was large but didn't look dangerous, I barely noticed the slight incline we were walking on earlier so their shouldn't be an undertow.

Before I could even take in the clear water, green algae, and calm lagoon completely, everyone began bringing the water to their lips with cupped hands. I sprung into action and excitement, too, greedily filling my almost bone-dry water bottle to the brim. The water wasn't as warm as I wished it would be, but it was perfectly refreshing.

After everyone's bottles and stomachs were full, Sasha ripped her boots off of her feet and Carol did the same. Rick turned the boys around to move further down the river's path to give the girls some space. I quickly realized what they were doing and joined to strip off my sticky and sweat stained clothing.

Sasha was the first one in, the water coming up to swirl around the middle of her smooth bare thighs. She shuttered at the cold but closed her eyes to sink down into it. Carol followed suit, bringing in with her a few pairs of underwear, shirts, and socks. Tara and Rosita ran in next, splashing up water with each step they made. The shocked look on Rosita's face told me the cold water was more of a surprise than she expected nipping at her warm toes. Then Michonne leisurely found her way in, scrubbing the dirt and blood from her dark skin.

Maggie and Beth walked to the other side of the river holding their shoes high and being careful not to slip. Beth looked worried as she stared down at her cast, getting it wet would only irritate her skin trapped below it. I knew that for a fact from my idiot brother's experience when he decided to walk on a frozen pond with his buddies only to fall through and soak his red cast. Beth's didn't have nearly as many signatures on hers though.

I Saw The Lights Go Out - Carl Grimesजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें