Busan Chapter 21

The last night of work was hell. Four pre-term labors, 3 car accidents with major injuries and two requiring immediate surgery and a cardiac arrest that was unsaveable. That was on top of the flu patients, the walk-in broken arm, the three drunks, and the odd malingerers looking for their drug fix for the night. There were times Jimin and Jungkook would look at each other and just telepathically send messages "can this night end".

Three hours before shift change came the worst case to arrive through the door. It was a four year old who got out of his mothers hand to run after a kitty-cat. He ran into the street. Jungkook, Jimin and the other nurses, techs, and staff worked diligently to try and save the little boy's life but couldn't. The mood in the ER was dark and painful. Jungkook went to console the distraught mother who kept blaming herself. Jimin walked into the On Call room, locked the door and lost it.

After sedating the mother and allowing her to rest in a quite corner room with her equally distraught but stoic husband, Jungkook asked if anyone had seen Dr. Park. Jisoo and a tech said they thought they saw him go into the Doctor's Lounge. Jungkook could tell Jimin was taking this very hard. Things had settled down and it was about a little over an hour away from shift change. Jungkook went to the lounge to check on Jimin. Jungkook's heart hurt too but he could tell that Jimin was having more difficulty dealing with the child's death. He goes over to the On Call room and checks the handle. It's locked.

"Baby, it's me. Open the door." Jungkook says softly. He can hear Jimin softly whimpering. "Baby, please let me in." He waits a moment then hears the door unlock. He walks in to see Jimin sitting on the end of the bed just looking at his hands with tears streaming down his face. Jungkook gets on his knees in front of Jimin.

"Baby, you did everything you could." Jungkook says softly.

"No, no I didn't." Jimin whimpers. "I could have done better."

"No. No you couldn't. You did everything. We all did. The injuries were just too much. It's sad. It's horrible and I'm hurting too but all I can think is we did everything we could. We can't save them all and when it's someone's child it's the worst feeling in the world but don't blame yourself. There's enough of that going on with just the parent's and she did nothing wrong. It was a horrible, horrible accident and there are too many people suffering right now." Jungkook said. He lifted Jimin's face up with his hands looking into those sad eyes. Tears still streaming down Jimin's face.

"Did I ever tell you how much I love children?" Jimin said. "I know it's not possible for people like us...here, but I think they are so precious and beautiful and today I had to watch one die." Jimin starts to sob again.

"Oh, Baby. I know. I watched too. Look we only have a little over an hour left of work then we are off to Busan. I think this trip is important now more than ever. I'll drive so you can rest...okay?" Jungkook says taking his boyfriend into his full embrace and letting him cry on his shoulder until he no longer can cry.

"Baby, get cleaned up and come back out so we can finish." Jungkook says. Jimin nods.

"I'll be out in a minute." Jimin says. Jungkook leaves the lounge.

"Is Dr. Park okay?" Asks Jisoo.

"He will be." Jungkook says. He gets the left over patients in rooms ready for report to on coming nurses. Fortunately, after the last case there are only two in rooms right now. Ten out in the lobby but two in rooms. Ten minutes later Jimin comes out of the lounge. He has washed his face down and tried to make it look like he hasn't been crying. Everyone knows but doesn't say anything.

After shift change, Jimin and Jungkook walk out to the car. Jimin gets in the passenger side and Jungkook drives them home. It is a quiet drive. Jungkook is leaving Jimin to his thoughts and to when he chooses to talk. Once they get home they pack their suitcases and head back to the car for the long drive to Busan. They put the suitcases in the trunk then Jungkook helps Jimin back into the passenger side. Just before Jimin sits down Jungkook takes Jimin in to a tight hug.