LXXIV

To see Ichiro in chains full of scars in the prison on a bloody dirty ground is what makes Natsume's heart tightened. His skin that used to be a healthy white complexion is now deadly white like a corpse's skin. His wounds were already healed and only scars were left. The Northern border is worse than she thought, the place where her son was hidden is an underground prison, a torturing place for the prisoners of war, worse than the prison in the city state of Dong. The smell and sight is sickening to the point that she nauseated half way.

The maid by her side asked her if it's really okay for her to go in there. Her second child may not carry the curse of having a demon soul but he's still unborn and the mother keeps seeing horrifying things, the brutality of war cannot be hidden in her eyes. What if her second child became a cruel and brutal man too like his father?

Natsume can't be stopped from going in there, she really wanted to see her first born son. How is he now? She's pretty sure that he wasn't given the proper treatment, the place he's sleeping and the food he's eating. How could Raiden be so cruel to his own son no less? What is done is done, at least he accepts him now after a lot of persuasion.

"You came, mother. Did you finally convinced my beloved father to let me off the hook or is he preparing another way to execute me and you're just here for a visit?"

Ichiro's tone was casual, as if talking to his mother in an afternoon snack while enjoying the scenery of this prison.

"No... Raiden agreed to let you off the hook"

It's been a while since she last saw him and he had already grown so fast, a four years old who look like an eight years old child already. Is this the affect of torture and being in a prison for a while or a demon's work? She wasn't sure. Her hands trembled as she reached out her hands to caress his cheeks.

"You--you've grown so fast"

Her tone is a bit unsteady as she tried to hold back her tears while staring at him. Ichiro freely laughed.

"What are you talking about, mother? You're just getting old fast"

She doesn't know if she should get angry at this state or not. What words to reply to his emotional mother. Such a cheeky stinking brat. After removing all his chains and shackles. Ichiro stretched out his numbing body.

They rest for a while longer in the Northern border. Ichiro leisurely bath, he doesn't remember when was the last time he cleaned his body. After bathing, he sat in front of the table, devouring the meals prepared for him, he also doesn't remember when was the last time he eat such a tasty meal, all those meals prepared for him are worse than a pig's food. Such a very good treatment from his beloved father.

Ichiro suddenly stopped when he heard someone sobbing, raising his head from his bowl of rice and meat, he saw his mother sobbing. His eyebrows twitched, yes mothers can be this emotional. He wasn't sure if his mother is the only one like this, he's only eating ah. What's there to cry about? He couldn't really understand human emotions sometimes.

After eating a hearty meal, he let out a burp. Rubbing his now protruding belly. He really did ate a lot. Feeling satisfied, well not fully satisfied as he remembered all those horrible things that his beloved father did to him. He couldn't really brush it off just like that. Perhaps a little bit of revenge will do.

"Did father really agreed to let me go?"

"Of course. You're still his son after all"

He let out a scoff, doubting that he still treated him like his own son. Perhaps his mother convinced him with a bit of sweet treatment or bitter tears. In this short amount of time that he met him, he's sure that his only weakness is this woman in front of him.

There was a change of expression on his beautiful face when he sense something. His beloved father sure planted his evil pawns fast.

"Mother... Are you carrying a child?"

Natsume was a bit surprised to hear him say that.

"How did you know?"

"I can sense another devil"

Letting out a laugh after seeing his mother's anxious expression, he continued.

"It would be better if it's a girl. If it's a boy... Oh well, I can just beat the hell out of him"

Natsume declined to comment, it seems that he's in the mood to talk about gibberish things. A child is still a child after all.

It took them two weeks to reach the Takahiro village. As soon as the carriage stopped, Natsume eagerly opened the door without waiting for the guards to open it, only to be surprised that they're actually not in her homeland. Didn't they passed by a familiar scenery when going here? The carriage was surely heading South, not North. Although it's been almost five years, she couldn't really have forgotten her hometown. Was that all an illusion?

"My followers didn't failed to follow me everywhere I go"

Turning back, she couldn't see Ichiro anymore after he spoke. The carriage disappeared, black smoke passed by in front of her, gradually disappearing. Looking from left to right, her heart made a nervous fast beat. This place is too familiar to her. Not far away from this place, she could hear the clashing of swords, the ground trembling as the hundred and thousands of soldiers along with their horses move forward against their enemies. It seems that Raiden is already attacking the Capital.

Dark Cultists. That frightening group didn't failed to give her troubles. Are they going to kidnap her again or is Ichiro their target?

The majestic doors in front of her are all too familiar. A green clothed eunuch stopped in front of her with a startled expression.

"Your highness!"

Head eunuch Liu suddenly exclaimed. Natsume took a step back. She's indeed back in the palace of Xue. How can it be?

That's right, how could she have forgotten that Yuan Kang is involved in the Dark Cultists. Maybe he ordered those Cultists to get her back. Inhaling deeply to calm herself, she looked around again. There's no reason for them to hurt Ichiro if their target is her.

"The king is heavily wounded from the battle, he wanted to see you soon. Your highness"

Heavily wounded. Did he finally clashed swords with her husband and now he's on the verge of dying?

Natsume is having a conflicted emotion. It's not like she hates him, they still have a bond that cannot be severed after spending years with each other in their childhood. Her feelings for him is not as strong as before, she loves him like a big brother now. Sympathy surged up in her heart.

The doors were opened by the two servants inside with their heads lowered.

"You should go, milady. Our king... our King's reign and our land are... falling apart now"

Head eunuch Liu's eyes are tearing up as he kowtowed at the door. This might be the last time that he'll bow his head to another.