XVIII

"Milady, his lordship had summoned you in his office"

I looked up from the book about the adventure in Oslion kingdom--the land of warriors that I was so immersed with and forced myself to look at Ayano.

"He has arrived?"

She nodded but there was something about her expression. She looks bothered, she keeps on fidgeting the sleeve of her kimono so I asked her.

"Is something bothering you?"

She shook her head, trying to deny it. I squinted my eyes at her.

"Actually... there is... milady. His lordship look displeased, everyone in the palace are disturbed and conscious, he had dismissed all the stable men and the gate guards to their posts"

My heart started beating so fast. Could... it be?

I swallowed the lump in my throat. Although I already have a guess of why he is angry, I still dare to ask.

"And...why did he do that?"

She shrugged.

"No one knows but you have to go to him, he's furious for some reason we couldn't fathom-- his lordship ordered"

I put away the book on the table and stood up from my chair.

"Should I escort you there, milady?"

I shook my head

"No... I'll be fine"

I gave her a faint smile and walked away.

I couldn't calm down as my feet took me to the fifth floor, where my husband's office is. Walking in the magnificent hallway with red carpets and golden painted walls.

Why would he be angry about it? Why am I anxious? I just have to explain it to him. Right, I just have to explain myself and maybe he will understand.

Still... I feared him, I have never seen him get angry but I know for a fact that he's not someone that you would want to be angered.

Fear crept into me when I stopped by in front of his door, I want to run away but I know that he will find me. There's no running away from him.

I'am starting to have a cold sweat. I rubbed my shaking hands together, trying to calm myself.

'Calm down...Natsume... He will not hurt you... He won't'

I'm trying to assure myself so I can't run away right here and then. I raised my right hand to knock on the door.

"Milord...? You've asked for my presence?"

A few moments of silence before I heard his magnetic, cold voice.

"Come in"

I slide the wooden red door and when I saw him, I couldn't dare to step my foot in

He has a dark aura, there's a newly scar on his face, crossing his left cheek to his right cheek that blemished his beautiful face, making him look more fierce and frightening. He's standing beside his desk, wearing a red tunic outlined with gold, black pants, and black boots that reached below his knees, a silver goblet in right hand that looks like from another kingdom.

His jaw tightened when he saw me

"I said. COME. IN"

My heart almost jumped out of my rib cage when he spoke again, his voice is low, and commanding.

My feet were as fast as lightning to enter the room.

He motioned for me to close the door, so I turned back and closed it.

I hide my sweaty shaky hands under the sleeves of my kimono before I faced him and put on my very fake smile that I have mastered.

"Is there something that I can do for you to call for me, milord?"

My nervousness increased when he gritted his teeth in anger but I still keep my façade, even though it's slowly wearing out in his presence.

He grabbed the glass cup that was in his desk and poured the red liquid in his goblet-- which I presumed, a wine. He walked behind his desk and sat on his majestic dragon chair.

"Are you that stupid?"

With that final blow, I lost the smile on my face, replaced by a frown.

"What do you mean, milord?"

He eyed me with a tenty eyes while sipping from his cup.

"It's just a simple instructions Natsume, stay in your room and don't go out for a while. I wonder if it's too hard for you to follow and understand? I thought that you're good at following instructions but you're actually good at breaching it"

Even if I'm nervous, I'm proud of myself that I can still remain an eye contact with him without looking away like I did something wrong.

"I did nothing wrong, milord"

I said and directly stared at his eyes

He laughed manically.

"You did nothing wrong, you say? How ironic is that?"

He stood up from his seat, still holding his cup. My knees felt weak like it would buckle up at any moment, I was nearly holding myself when he took a step forward, making me took a step back too.

"Afraid now eh?"

He said and sipped from his cup again.

"Do you know what the people in the palace are saying to me?"

"I did nothing wrong"

I repeated.

He tightly grip the stem of his cup and I almost jump in surprise when he threw the cup on the wall behind me, barely missing my head--barely.

"Bullshit!!!"

My breath got caught up in my throat when he shouted.

"I said, do you know what the people in the palace are saying about me?!"

I pursed my lips together and shook my head.

"Lord Ryuu can't even control his wife, cheating behind his back"

He ran his hand through his hair in anger.

"Why would you do that?"

He said in a low voice.

"Do what, milord?"

"Don't act innocent now, it doesn't suit you. You and I both know what I'm referring to"

"I did the right thing to do, milord"

"So it's right to breach my rule now. Isn't it?"

"It's my fault that---"

I gasped when I felt my right cheek stings, my head is tilted at the side and I can taste the blood inside my mouth.

I slowly touched my right cheek, stunned. My eyes are starting to water.

"Don't teach me what's the right thing to do now, Natsume"

I winced in pain when he grabbed my hair at the back of my head, forcing me to look up at him.

"How dare you walk around, besmirching my honor?!"

He was heaving in anger, his eyes- furious.

"Don't look at me with those teary eyes, you don't deserve my sympathy, you don't deserve to be my wife"

I got laid on the floor when he forcefully pushed me.

"Get out of my sight"

I can't help myself but to cry and sobbed, not just because of the physical pain.

"Get out of my sight. Now!!! You're a sore eyes!"

I bite my lower lip and slowly got up, even with my state, I still managed to bow at him and slowly walked out of the room before running away in the hallway, crying.

I hate myself... Just when I thought that I have matured.

©Editer