LXIII

Natsume stared at her reflection. The girl in the mirror has an empty expression, wearing a blazing red kimono lined with gold, on her head is a Phoenix crown yet no trace of happiness could be detected on her beautiful face.

"You're a sight to behold, your ladyship-- your highness"

Her personal attendant was flustered, not knowing how to address her now. Today is her crowning ceremony and she has yet to seat on the throne, after a few hours, she'll be crowned as the queen of Xue.

She couldn't really refuse now after knowing that her rescue will be a bit late. This early morning, an eagle flew in her chamber through the open window, carrying a message. Thankfully, her personal attendant was already out of the door to fetch her tea. The message was short and doesn't have a signature.

Wait for a few days.

Recognizing the elegant penmanship right away, it is no doubt that it came from the prime minister of the state, Izumi Ryuu, who's also a general. The other generals couldn't have this well written penmanship whose hands are used in wielding a sword, unlike him who is always associated in court.

Exactly when is this after a few days? She has already reached her limit, wanting to escape from this golden cage. Not acting too defiant and too obedient with the king of Xue to avoid suspicions.

Should she just sit and let the nature take its course? She's probably the first one in history to be crowned twice from different kingdoms. Her head feels heavy with the crown and other heavy ornaments, even her clothes are heavy with too many layers.

She hates this kind of things, experiencing it once is enough, to experience it again is simply a hell. The ceremony will take too long, and she can't eat for almost a day, the ornaments and clothes are already too heavy, making her sweat a lot with this hot weather, not to mention she has to ascend the stairs that are 99 steps.

As soon as the ceremony ended, she hastily entered her chamber in a hurry. Not waiting for the servants to take off the ornaments in her hair, including the Phoenix crown resting at top of her head, careless flinging it all away from different directions. The servants quickly pick it up, handling it with great care.

They couldn't really have reprimanded the queen with her lack of manners. She changed into a more comfortable one after taking her bath, ready to jump on the bed and doze off. To her great annoyance, the majestic King didn't forget to grace her courtyard every night. However that didn't stop her from lying comfortably on the bed, closing her eyes in tiredness without a care in the world. Her personal attendants greeted the king, glancing worriedly at their mistress who continued on with her business. She just lied there, she couldn't have fallen asleep so soon.

To their relief, his Majesty didn't mind her audacity.

The next morning, Natsume truly regrets her actions, she shouldn't have continued lying on the bed and fallen asleep after a few minutes because a thick arm is around her waist. She had momentarily forgotten how thick-skinned he is, to think that he'll closely sleep beside her.

"Yuan Kang, how dare you! You shouldn't sleep beside a married woman!"

She shouted at him after losing her temper, trying to get away from his iron like hold. If this goes out, she doesn't know if she can still keep her face in public or face Raiden.

On the other side. Three days after the new queen of Xue was crowned, the news that the queen of Ryuu went missing finally reached the Northern border where Raiden's main army is located, still planning and preparing to wage a huge war with them.

"You're telling me... That my wife has been missing for almost a month and I've only known now"

Eiji Arata swallowed his own spit, he's a general who's used in fighting but this is his boss he's talking to. Of course he's no match to him.