LXVII

"Seems like the heaven is favoring the state of Xue over Ryuu. Winter is here already, if this has gotten more colder and the snow gets heavier, we won't be able to move our army anymore. We'll be stuck here and be trapped by the enemy"

Eiji let out a sigh, look at this puff of white smoke coming out of his mouth. It is already this cold.

"The winter will get worse after a few days"

The two of them are sitting beside the fire in the middle of the night. It's their third day in the enemy state's territory and their invasion have gone far, they have already destroyed five city states on their way.

"Have you convinced this mad driven king to retreat before it's too late?"

Izumi shook his head

"Being the concern and loyal subject that I'am. I only received this"

He pointed at his bandaged head. Yesterday night when they camped their army in another city state, he tried to talk to him for the second time in an attempt to let him retreat their army. “I hate repeating myself ” are the only words that came out of his mouth, Raiden got annoyed with his talks, grabbed his head and smashed it hard on the wooden thick table, hard enough to break it.

"Since he's mad driven, you can't talk a sense out of him"

"I'am afraid that he's going to sacrifice the latter parts of the Ryuu state"

Eiji shot up from his seat.

"What do you mean?"

"I have an inkling of what he's planning. Raiden will conquer the Capital of Xue with all his force. Knocking out the head first, by doing this, he will have to sacrifice some of his territories that are left with lower defense"

Since it's winter, they have to fasten up their march to the Capital and burn it to the ground before the weather immobilize the army.

The Xue army in Isla will attack their Eastern or southern shore. Those sacrificial territories include South Valley and Takahiro village. Both are significant places, South Valley is where the second branch of the Ryuu clan resides, Takahiro is the homeland of the queen.

The Ryuu army in Hoc have also started to march over the territories of Xue.

If they succeeded in conquering the Capital, those sacrificed places will be taken back easily and the enemy king will die in their hands. After all, what is a lion without its head? Territories can be taken back but there are still the innocent civilians. Countless lives will be taken and it cannot be taken back.

The reason why he wants the army to retreat and defend their shore instead. Let this invading be handled by the army in Hoc alone. Although it will take time to conquer the enemy state, it's still better than sacrificing a million of innocent lives.

The war this time will make the country of Sang flood with blood. That is what worrying him. If the king doesn't care about his people, wouldn't he rule in tyranny? Is the life of one woman worth over a million lives?

There's still hope in his heart, yesterday he received a missive from the assassins he dispatched. Tonight, they will get the queen out of the palace. Presenting the queen to this mad king will probably make him retreat and quell his anger.

Natsume should have heard of the important things happening in the palace, didn't the servants gossip about it with fear in their eyes? However, her servants have their lips sealed when she asked about it.

It doesn't matter, she knows already. The Ryuu army is invading this state on both sides in a quick pace, and sooner or later they will reach the Capital. That's only the matter that makes the civil and military officials in court restless. Their king, however was as calm as the autumn breeze. Lessening their worries a bit, perhaps the king has something up to his sleeve.

True to Yuan Kang's words, he wouldn't even let her take a single step outside of her palace. He would go back to her palace around the afternoon to eat a meal together after attending to the court matters, and accompanying her out to walk around in the imperial gardens, then going back to his duties again after he sent her back. He would visit her again late at night. She was relieved now that he didn't sleep beside her.

However... There's still another important matter that she's worried about. She isn't quite sure about it, how many days has it been? She tried to conceal it for many days.

The night is too silent here. Natsume admired the moon in the sky while her thoughts are in chaos.

Something flashed past her, distracting her from her thoughts. A clanking of swords can suddenly be heard outside of her palace.

Two maids pulled her hands, not caring about the palace etiquettes. They started to drag her somewhere.

"Your Majesty, it isn't safe here. You need to hide"

Uncertainty surged up in her heart, she couldn't possibly jump right away to a conclusion that those attackers are her allies to take her back. Who knows if it's an assassin of some jealous concubine.

Four men that are clad in black suddenly landed on the floor. They destroyed the roof tiles of  her palace to enter her chamber. The two maids took out their hidden weapons and started to fight these men. It is obvious that these maids assigned to her knew martial arts.

But the men clad in black are too strong for them. They were knocked out on the floor soon.

For a moment there, Natsume almost screamed in terror, mistaking these men as Dark Cultists. Thankfully, she calmed down when they fought with their swords instead of something scary.

What she couldn't understand now was when these men came near her and knocked her out of her senses. They could have said that they were the ones sent by Izumi and she would be willing to go with them. Must they be so violent to a lady?

She didn't know how long did she passed out. Upon gaining her consciousness again, she was already in the moving carriage, the yellow curtains of it are dancing with the wind, revealing the scenery they passed by outside, the sun is already up in the sky. Anger boiled up inside her when she find her hands tied behind her, her feet are also tied together.

"You! Are you the ones sent by Izumi Ryuu?"

A man from outside the carriage answered her question.

"How did you know?"

Natsume almost rolled her eyes in annoyance.

"He's the loyal dog of my husband! Unbound me this instance or you'll have to pay the prize when I get back to them"