LXX

"I did try..."

Raiden whispered in a barely audible voice, nevertheless she still heard him. They stare at each other for a very long time. One is searching for the truth, the other is searching for the right words to say.

"But I failed..."

She didn't know how to feel about that. Should she be happy that her husband tried to kill their son but failed?

In the third day of the lunar month, he sentenced his own son to death, that didn't work though. His trial proved that Ichiro can't control his own demon. If he continues to live, he'll bring a catastrophe.

What he didn't know is the catastrophe has already started and the reason is the woman in front of him. She who doesn't want to kill the demon who broke the rules of the heavens, she who wanted to be crowned as empress. What curse? Raiden should get raid of her. Wouldn't that be easier? If she's gone, there would be no one to insist that Ichiro should live.

What to do when he already sacrificed a hundred and thousands of lives for her?

"I want to see him"

"He's still in the prison at the Northern border"

Perhaps it was her pregnancy that she can't handle her emotions right now. Her heart is tightening like it would burst at any moment. Tears welled up in her eyes and a crystal liquid dropped from it, followed by an endless stream of tears.

Raiden was stunned. This is the first time that he saw her in such a state with a helpless expression, as if her world was shattered. His throat becomes dry, ignorant of how to comfort this fragile woman in front of him, at the same time he's angry at her stubbornness.

"Aren't we having another child? You shouldn't grieve over him"

He chose the wrong words. Natsume sharply looked at him with a hateful gaze.

"So you're going to kill him the second time around? Aren't you being too heartless? He's our son!"

Raiden stood up in anger. He has a temper so he's at least trying to keep himself in check.

"Don't argue with me, woman. If you insist on keeping him around, you should bear the responsibility of the state falling in the hands of the Dark Cultists"

The atmosphere between them had drastically change. It was like a blooming spring just a moment ago, now it is the freezing cold winter.

Natsume bitterly smile.

"I thought I would be happy once again if I go back"

Wrong words were said that cannot be taken back. Those words are like a powerful weapon to deeply hurt someone.

Raiden frowned in displeasure, his hands are aching to beat someone to death at this very moment.

"Are you saying that you're happier back in the Xue palace? Are you enjoying that bastard's affection for you? Natsume, I was thinking why would Yuan Kang abducted you. He must be your lover. Cheating behind my back must feel good, making you feel superior than anyone else to have two rulers at your mercy. Tell me..."

He grabbed both of her cheeks in one hand, his sharp nails digging at her soft cheeks. He leaned in to whisper something in her left ear.

"Did he fuck you better than me?"

Such an outrageous words that makes her breaths in a mouthful of air, her right hand raised in an attempt to slap him. However, Raiden caught her wrist before it landed on his face, gripping it tightly. A burning fury in his eyes.