Chapter 24: The shot

I wake up to the sweet smell of pancakes. I slip out of bed and walk downstairs. I see my mother standing at the stove making some more pancakes. She see's me walk into the kitchen.

"Hey Chloe." she says

"Hi." I say

"How'd you sleep?" she asks

"Fine." I say

I sit down at the table and my mother places a plate of pancakes infront of me.

"Thanks." I say

My mother had made herself a cup of coffee and sits down at the table with me.

I finish my breakfast while she drinks her coffee. After I'm done my breakfast, I thank my mother and clean up my dishes. After I'm done, I walk upstairs and get ready for the day ahead. I change into my clothes and brush my teeth and hair. I also apply some makeup. After I'm done, I walk downstairs and meet my mother. She was waiting in the entry way for me. She led me towards the door and we walked outside. We drove to the compound as usual. Once we got there, I walked up to the library while my mother stayed in the lobby with the other Erudite. I hadn't texted Caleb this morning so I didn't know where he would be. Once I got to the library, I pulled out my phone and texted Caleb!

Chloe: hey! Meet me at our spot?

After I sent the message, I waited for Caleb to respond. He normally responds right away but I waited for a little and he didn't text back. I was about to leave when all of a sudden, I felt a pair of arms wrap around my shoulders from behind.

I turned about and saw Caleb laughing.

"You almost gave me a heart attack!" I say

"Paybacks a bitch!" he says while laughing

I couldn't help but laugh a little too.

Caleb and I had to work on projects today so we walked together to the computer lab. As we were walking, I noticed a couple members of Dauntless marching around in groups.

"I wonder what they're doing here." Caleb says

I don't answer. I'm thinking this has something to do with those files I found on my mothers computer. I decide to go and confront her before this gets out of hand again.

"Um Caleb. I just have I go talk to my mother quickly." I say

"Want to meet me at the computer lab after you're done?" he asks

"Sounds good." I say

He gives me a little kiss before walking off in the opposite direction. I start walking in the direction of my mothers office when I notice more and more groups of Dauntless members marching around.

Once I reach my mothers office, I knock on the door. No one answers so I open the door. No ones inside but I see my mothers computer unlocked with a bunch of information. I look around until I see it.

Dauntless mind control system: protect Erudite headquarters

Control System Base: Erudite

Eliminate Abnegation: protection of Divergents

She's still going on with this previous plan. She was still killing off an innocent faction. I couldn't let this happen again. I know Erudite like the back of my hand so I know all the possibilities that they could be using the control room as.

Coincidencely, I meet Caleb's sister Beatrice, also known Tris. I explain that I am trying to stop my mother. Beatrice told me that she was Divergent so she wasn't affected by the serum. Beatrice was also here with her father, Marcus Eaton, Abnegation factions leader and a Dauntless member that isn't under the influence of the serum, Peter.

We search around until we find the control room. I peer my head in and see my mother and many Erudite's. There were also many Dauntless soldiers. Beatrice and Peter get ready to fire. They start shooting at many of the Dauntless soldiers. Since I haven't had any gun training, I just stay behind. All is going well until I feel an excruciating pain in my shoulder. I look down and see I've been shot. I scream from the pain and everyone stops and looks at me. I feel my blood pouring out and it's pouring out really fast. The shot wound was really big. My mother notices and rushes over towards me. By that point I'm on the ground, unable to move my arm.

"CHLOE." she screams

She's shaking me, trying to keep me awake but eventually the world goes black.