Chapter 39: Reunited

I was laying in bed. I didn't know what to do. Thoughts of Caleb kept running in my mind. No matter how hard I tried, I couldn't get the thought of him out of my mind. I needed to see him.

I used my crutches to help me stand up and then I walked over to the door. I opened it slowly. I walked over to the stairs. It was extremely hard to walk down stairs with crutches. It took me 5 minutes to get down the many stairs. Once I was down, I walked over to the front door. I didn't bother telling my mom where I was going. she probably wouldn't let me go to Factionless anyways. I opened the front door and then closed it behind me. I realized how far Factionless was away from my house but I didn't care. I needed to see Caleb.

It took me a whole 45 minutes to get to Factionless. As I started to see the Factionless, I started to get more and more nervous. People say living Factionless is worse than dying.

I sighed and bit my lip before looking for Caleb. I couldn't find him and I started to get more and more nervous.

All of a sudden I wasn't looking where I was going and I bumped into someone.

"I'm so sorry." I say as I turn my head back.

It was a lady who looked to be in her 30s.

"It's alright." she says with a smile.

I slightly smile back.

"Can I help you?" She asks.

"Um, I must've just wondered into the wrong place." I lie.

The lady smiles and walks away.

I continue looking for Caleb. I couldn't move very fast because of my cast and crutches. I kept walking until I saw him.

"Caleb." I yell as I see him.

He turns around and his face lights up immediately.

"Chloe." he says as he runs over to me.

He hugs me once he gets to me.

"I missed you so much." I say emotionally.

"I miss you too." He says.

He pulls away and looks into my eyes. He then looks down at my leg.

"What happened?" He asks.

"It's a long story." I say.

He nods.

"I'm so sorry this happened to you." I say softly.

"It's not your fault, it's mine." he says.

"Things haven't been the same without you." I say.

"I know. I'm sorry Chloe." he says.

As my tears fall down, he wipes them from my cheek.

"I know it's hard Chloe." Caleb says.

"It's just been hard not being able to see you everyday." I say.

He smiles. "Do you want to come in?" He asks me.

I felt a bit unsure for a second.

"Sure." I say with a smile.

He helps me in. All the Factionless were looking at me. I tried to avoid eye contact. As we were walking, we were stopped by the same lady from before.

"Hello Caleb." she says with a smile.

"Hello Evelyn." he says.

"Evelyn? Evelyn Johnson?" I ask.

"Yes." She says with a smile.

I've heard of Evelyn before. I've heard my mother mention her. She's the leader of the Factionless.

"I'm so sorry. I didn't mean to intrude." I say as I look down.

She laughs a little. "Your not intruding. It's not everyday you see an Erudite here though." she says.

"I know. I just came to see Caleb." I say.

She smiles at me and Caleb before walking away.

Caleb then leads me to his room. It's very different than the rooms at Erudite.

"So, how's Factionless?" I ask him.

"It's honestly not as bad as I thought it would be. Evelyn is really nice." Caleb says.

"I still wish you were at Erudite." I say as I look down.

"I know. I wish I was still there too." Caleb said.

I looked into his sparkling eyes.

"So tell me. What happened to your leg?" Caleb asks.

I explain the story to Caleb and he gets more shocked with every sentence I say.

"I'm so sorry that happened to you." Caleb says with a look of sympathy.

"It's fine." I say while looking down.

We talk for a few hours.

It was now 10PM and I was laying with Caleb in his bed. I had my head on his chest and he had his arm around me.

"I should probably go." I say.

"Maybe, you should stay." Caleb says.

I hadn't told my mother where I went but I didn't care. It was just nice to spend the day with Caleb.

"As long as it won't get you in trouble. I don't want your mom to get mad at you." Caleb says.

"It's fine." I say.

"You promise?" He asks softly.

"I promise." I say back.

Caleb kissed my head and I closed my eyes. Moments later, I find myself falling asleep with Caleb right next to me.