Chapter 17

Chapter 17

            Minx wakes up to hearing Marzia screaming for help. She groans in pain as her vision clears up. She sits up and immediately gets a migraine, possibly a concussion. She tries to stand up and realizes that her back was completely bruised from top to bottom. Minx leans on her left leg and it starts to twitch and shake. Minx leans on her other leg yet it supported her weight. Must have injured my spine, Minx concluded.

“Help!” Marzia’s voice echoed through the trees.

Minx quickly leans on a tree as she coughs up mucus. She looks around, trying to gather what just happened. A patch of grass was smashed down from where she fell and the river was on her left side. Minx found a sturdy branch and used it as support as she slowly walked to the sound of Marzia’s voice. Minx’s throat was parched so she could not scream back but she tried her best.

“Mar- *couch cough* Marzia!” Minx coughed up the words.

“Minx! By the river!” Marzia replied, her voice growing louder and more clear as Minx continued walking. Minx finally made it to the river where the carriage had fallen into, now flooding with water. Minx limped to the sound of Marzia’s voice. She climbed on a small rock to be just tall enough to peek over the destroyed door and spot Marzia. Marzia was sitting up, her legs beneath a pile of wood.

“Marzia! I’m going to get you out of there. Okay? Can you- Can you move?” Minx asks, reaching out to move a few pieces of wood with her arm. Marzia nods slowly and tries to stand but the weight of the wood brings her back down. Minx watched but soon climbed inside the carriage and slowly pushes the weight off her, trying her best to ignore the pain from her back.

After the pieces of wood were pushed off her, Marzia uses Minx’s neck as support. Her left foot was obviously broken but Marzia ignored the pain due to shock. Minx was strong enough to help Marzia climb out by allowing her to be first. Marzia carefully climbs up and slowly moves her left leg before dropping down to the ground. When her broken ankle smacked into the ground, the bone crunching, Marzia let out a loud scream as tears of pain rolled down her dirty face. Despite the pain, Marzia stood up and limped to the door where Minx was struggling to climb over. She grabs what was left of Minx’s shirt and pulled her out, Minx falling to the ground as well.

Marzia quietly watches as Minx puts on the splint and tying it together with a piece of cloth from her shirt. Minx helps Marzia stand and gives her the sturdy stick as support. Minx then remembers what happened to Krism and quickly starts to hyperventilate.

“Krism! Oh God! Krism. My Krism! She could be dead or worse or- Oh god. We- we have to- to- to go now!” Minx starts to breath quickly and walks in circles before climbing up the ditch.

“Minx. Minx, calm down!” Marzia tries to keep her calm but it only angered her.

“Calm down? My fiancée could be dead up there while we’re here, trying to calm down! There is no ‘calming down’ we have to go NOW before-” Minx was interrupted by Marzia slapping her across the face, surprising her.

“Calm down! She won’t be dead. That negativity could get you killed then there won’t be a fiancée to come back to! Now. Minx! Queen of goddamn Victubia! You and I are getting our asses up there whether we die now or not!” Marzia yells to Minx’s face. Minx was surprised but, shortly after, nodded in agreement.