Chapter 33 : Malone's Son

Zenon looked up and saw his husbands standing in the dirty pathways of the street. He got up worried about Dylan standing so unprotected in his condition in this crime street and a bit angry at Damon for having brought him here knowing the danger.

"What were you thinking Damon, bringing him here?" asked Zenon as he shrugged his coat off and covered Dylan with it. But Dylan just moved and hugged Zenon tight, not letting him go.

"What happened?" asked Zenon.

"You are sad. You seem out of it and did we do something wrong?" asked Dylan.

Zenon sighed and looked at Damon who went to turn away a bit and caught his hand. He pulled Damon closer.

"Do you have the same question too?" asked Zenon. Damon nodded taking in Zenon's scent. He had been so sad.

"I didn't mean to worry you both. I was just wondering is all," said Zenon and be led them inside the nearest diner, not wanting to leave the most important people in his life exposed to enemies with guns and an easy target written on their heads.

------------------

Zenon couldn't believe he was worried about anything. Both were gripping his hand tight and refused to sit opposite him and sat on both his sides. He almost laughed. It felt like a weight leaving.

"Dad was here on business when I ran into the safety of this diner. My parents had been dead for years then I think. I survived in the streets and then one of the street gangs were chasing me to use me as a carrier overseas. They would have sold me once I grew up a bit too. I think I was crying for the first time in the two years because I did not want to be sold or used. I did not really know the impact of what they were trying to do. The child me did not want to leave Malone.

Dad had been the scariest man around. I did not know who he was. The diner was trying to get me out, to not bring the menaces in or to cause disturbance to him.

"I- I had gone straight to him because he looked intimidating. I hoped he would save me. I had cried and cried and then dad looked at me in irritation, then sighed and shot the guys who demanded me back to the diner. I think I was begging him not to leave me to their mercy," said Zenon.

"It was supposed to be a short stay. I went home with him which he agreed is in Malone and I still, remember people looking at me in shock. I now know why, but it was amusing. He then took me home. I had been silent. He seemed worried after I rarely said anything or even ate anything. I would avidly watch the guns and the training."

"I would through a tantrum if someone pointed their gun at dad even if in training. I would cry so much and would be so inconsolable that dad would take me away. And reluctantly Dad would carry me around. I would hold tight to him, refusing to let go."

"Then slowly I think I started settling in. I was running around the garden after breakfast with dad when child services came. He had intended to hand me over. I did not know they were child services. I remember hiding behind dad's leg. They were asking me questions and I refused to answer. I remember looking at dad. God, I was a brat! I told him I don't like these people. He just looked at me for some time and asked them to leave. He extended his hand to me and I was only happy to be lifted. I liked it when dad carried me. And then he never put me down. Never. I- I always relive those days because I don't want to forget with age. I remember dad letting me sleep in his bedroom for the first time because I was in a strop. He was late one day and there were many rumours about him being injured and I was worried. He took me to his room and laid down next to me and we fell asleep. I still remember I was buried in his arms and he just held me. He is the best dad in the world. I grew up wishing that I was his blood."

He looked at them both and held them close. Both looked upset.

"What I am trying to say is, I came from here. Having you both in my arms is sometimes-  too much to believe. I mean how can a street rat from Malone have such luck, such blessings. I was supposed to end in a corner of this street, cold and blue with a needle stuck to my veins. But- I did not and I have dad, you both, Cal and Hec and every single person of our family. It's unbelievable. I - when I saw you two sitting in the corner the other day, it felt like I was an interloper. I mean I did crash your wedding," snorted Zenon, trying to lighten the mood.

But Damon and Dylan did not let go. They just held on.

"You know that made all the difference," said Dylan.

Damon nodded.

"Whatever the circumstances we three came to be together. I can never regret it as corny as that sounds," said Damon.

"I- you both could have hated me for it and yet you didn't and I don't know, it just was a slap to my face as I stood there looking at you, because you were supposed to be the family and I think I was scared," said Zenon, the last part only audible to the two next to him.

"Did we do something to make you feel scared? What were you scared of ?" asked Dylan, placing his head on Zenon's shoulder.

"I- the baby- he/she is , if they are Damon's biologically, I thought I wouldn't be wanted anymore- I" Zenon looked at the wall, not wanting to be that vulnerable.

Damon placed his head on the other shoulder and Zenon just smiled.

"I am an idiot, I know. I would love them no matter who the dad is. It is just that, I was not sure I would be welcome. I know, stupid," said Zenon.

"Yes, it is stupid. I thought mine is yours too as yours would be mine," said Damon.

"It is not about the paternity, I just- you guys would be a proper family then, like how you were supposed to be," said Zenon.

"And it could be yours and you would also be the family you intended you both to be. Should I feel like an interloper?" asked Damon.

"Damon. How can you even ask that?" asked Zenon and cringed realising his double standards. How can he think so low of them? He did not even realise that he was thinking low of them and not giving them enough credit.

"This is about that stupid magazine article debating our relationship isn't it?" snapped Dylan.

Zenon closed his eyes.

Damon shook Zenon in askance.

"It was-

"It was stupid was what it was," said Damon. It came out two days back and was the most trashy thing they have ever read.

"Buy them and fire anyone and everyone involved with that article. It should be a lesson to everyone who tries to be nosy about others' life and thinks that their opinion matters in our personal lives," said Dylan to Damon.

Damon nodded and made a call.

Zenon was shaking.

Both were worried that he was crying and took his arms.

He was laughing and what a beautiful sight it was. Both could only watch.

"I can't believe I was worried about you both leaving me behind," said Zenon, his body shaking as he laughed.

Dylan and Damon looked at each other and smiled broadly seeing Zenon laugh. They have never seen him laugh before. It made them fall for him all over again.

"We love you Sir Zenon," said Damon and Dylan.

Zenon smiled and hugged them both close.

"I love you both too," said Zenon.

--------------------------------------

So, guys maybe a couple more chapter and we are done. I am thinking of closure for Almero also! Maybe you will like it or you won't! I don't know. I fell in love with him as I wrote Zenon's childhood. We can't leave him alone, now can we!

MERRY CHRISTMAS