Chapter 16: Clara

"Hello..." I say as I pick up the phone and hear Simon on the other end. " Simon what do you want!"

"You have to come back! Evelyn... She's not okay, I don't know what's wrong with her." He panted like he ran miles.

"I don't care about her anymore! I don't want to hear about her ever again!" I yelled.

"No this is different, She's weak!" Simon replied, "We need you!" He paused. "I need you... Please Clara you have to come back."

"Fine! I'm coming. I swear I can't catch a break..." I say as I hang up the phone. I froze next to the phone. Thinking about whether I can ever be free of my mother, I ran away to a different town, i'm living in a cheap motel all alone. No one to order me around. I was happy. I was happy until I got that phone call. Now I'm going back to where it all started.

~~~~~~~~~

This is insane. I think to myself. My mom is fine. I stand behind the door for 30 minutes, thinking about what to say, how to act, whether I should be mad or not. As I step inside, I glance at my mom who is laying on the couch. She screams my name when she sees me, her body paralized. I notice Simon behind her all teared up.

"Mom!" My voice barely audible, "What's wrong?" I'm panting. It's true I didn't want any part in this but that doesn't mean I don't care about my mom.

"You were right... This was wrong." She gasped. I've never seen my mom like this, tired, old. Her hair has gone white again. Her face had wrinkles that weren't there before. She looked like her true self. "I swear to you, my intentions were truely pure. You have to believe I only did this to help everyone." She sounded exhausted. Tears found their way down my cheeks. This was a mother talking to her daughter. A daughter she loved.

"It's okay mom, I forgive you." I say. She smiled, as if hearing those words was all she ever wanted to hear. "I love you mom" I say and hug her. She didn't hug me back because she was paralized but I knew she wanted to. "How can I save you mom?" I wipe the tears off my face and focus on a solution.

"You can't honey... What's done is done. The spirit world doesn't exist anymore. Our powers are gone. I will die and my spirit will vanish into nowhere." Hearing her say this made me furious. This can't be true. I will save her.

"No! I can't leave you to die!" I yell.

"I'm sorry baby. I must go." And those were her last words. Her eyes now empty like glass eyes. She's dead.