Chapter thirty-three

We hurry across the road and walk fast for thirty minutes until I recognize a tree that we have passed before, we must be back where we were. 

"So, what did you get?" He asks and I open the backpack. 

"The necessities, here are your clothes," I say and hand them over and he looks at the shirt with the alien on it and then at me.

"It was the only choice," I say and shrug my shoulder. But even if there was a shirt without an alien I would still have chosen that one. I miss Mahaijla, it's weird because we barely spoke to each other than about escaping. Wilson starts removing his shirt and I quickly turn around, blushing. I walk behind a bush and change my clothes there. I also take a wet wipe and try to clean myself as much as possible. After I'm done I feel a bit better. I get out from behind the bush and hide my grin at the sight of him in the alien shirt. I put our old clothes back in the backpack since I don't want to leave them and risk leaving a trail and we can also use them during the night to keep warm. 

"Let's go," he says and I give him a protein bar and I take my own. I see how a smile is tugging on his lips. We walk in silence and when I'm done eating the protein bar I take out the hairbrush and start working on my hair.

"You had time to get a hairbrush?" I nod innocently.

"It was right beside the water. If I had time I would have looked for a scissor to cut it all off." After a few minutes, I give up and think that I will continue when we put up our camp.

Hours later the sun is going down and I feel too tired to even think straight but Wilson looks like he can run a marathon if someone asked him too.

"Can we put up camp here?" I ask and yawn.

"I guess so, we are probably already in Arizona." My body sings hallelujah that we will be stopping here for the night. There are a large bush and tree that makes a good shelter for the cold. Wilson, who has been carrying the backpack sets it down and starts laying out one of the blankets as I hear a sound, almost like a humming. I walk towards the bush and look in it where a rattlesnake is laying, ready to attack. I back away quickly and it comes sliddering through the bush.

"Satans boobies, there is a snake! Do we kill it? Can we kill it? Should we kill it?" I shout to Wilson who stands up quickly and takes a long step towards the snake as I run away from it. His face is blank and cold. He takes a knife from his belt that I didn't know he had and stabs it in the head of the snake. He takes out the knife again from the head and all I can think is 'disgusting'. I'm familiar with death för seeing the life drain from the snake hit close to home. I just stand there staring, not knowing what to do. He takes the body and throws it away. 

"Satans boobies?" he asks me and a grin replace his stone face. Maybe he needs to close off to be able to kill?

"I hate snakes, they are scary. I could totally have handled it though." I say to my defense but I know that if Wilson wouldn't have been here I would have run for the hills. He rolls his eyes and continues to set up a little camp. I take a stick of the ground and poke in the bush to see if there is another animal in there. I then look up in the tree, I would hate waking up to a snake landing on my face. After I'm done looking through our camp I sit down on the blanket. I have been afraid of snakes for as long as I can remember, my mom always wanted a snake but she didn't get one because of me. Now I wish I could go back in time, to change that and make her have more happiness before she died. I push the thoughts aside before I start crying and look at the sun that is setting, making the mountains and ground around us glow with a beautiful orange color.

"Wow, it's beautiful, don't you think?" I turn to Wilson and see that he is looking directly at me and I feel warmer inside. He looks at me in a way that I will never look at myself, like he thinks I'm a good person. Someone worthy of love and happiness. 

"Yes." He says but he still just looks at me and it makes me nervous. 

"You are not even looking," I say and look away from his intense stare and he snorts. I take out two cans of soup and hand him one and we sit and eat in silence. It starts getting colder so I slip under the other blanket and Wilson does the same. The darkness makes it hard to even make out his silhouette. If I had been afraid of the dark I would have been terrified by now, but for some reason, it calms me, no one can get to me. 

I fall asleep but I wake up after I don't know how long but it's still dark but it's even colder. My entire body starts shaking and my muscles become tense. Soon I feel arms circle around me and push me towards a hard surface that is warm. I realize it's Wilson. 

"Try to relax," he whispers and soon I calm down so I'm not shaking anymore and I feel warmer and safer as I try to fall asleep again but it doesn't last long. I open my eyes when I feel a strong wind against my face and a weird noise, I open my eyes and but I can't see anything besides the strong light in front of me. 

"Wilson!" I shout over the noise of the helicopters and he sits up quickly and holds his hand to cover the intense light.

"Stand up and put your hands behind your head!"