Chapter sixteen

I dreamed that Wilson brought me back to my room, away from the cage. He gave me painkillers and held me in his arms, even for just a second I felt safe which is absolutely ridiculous. I don't open my eyes afraid of what might face me. I'm not in pain I realize, I have been in such pain the last few days that I didn't know if it would ever go away. I open my eyes and I'm met by Wilson watching me carefully, so it wasn't a dream. Relief floods through me and I lay my head back again. Then I remember, I'm not in pain anymore, I stand up quickly which makes me a little dizzy. I haven't been able to look at my stomach since the surgery because of the pain, I didn't even know what they did to me. I take off the hospital gown, not even caring that Wilson is standing in the room. What the hell? There is a long red line with black stitches from my chest to under my belly button, on the middle of my chest, there is a small see-through tube coming out of my flesh which is closed at the beginning. I gasp at the sight, why is there a tube sticking out of my chest? What have they done to me? I don't feel any more pain just heaviness in my chest and uncomfortableness. I look up at Wilson and his lips are tightly pressed together and his eyes are focusing on the tube with what I think is anger in them. I press a hand to my chest around the tube and it feels hard as a rock, I move my hand a bit to the right and it's much softer. They have put something in my chest. I start breathing heavily.

"They have put something in my chest. It feels so heavy." I say out loud. I can see him open his mouth to say something and I remember that I'm only in my underwear.

"I need to shower," I say and quickly grab new clothes and walk into the bathroom. God, I have missed this. I undress and stand under the heat from the water and wash my hair and body. I get out and brush my teeth and dry myself with the towel. I don't even try to put on a bra but put on the clean shirt, panties and pants. I walk out of the room and see that Murphy is there with Wilson and when he sees me a huge smile grows on his lips and he sprints to me and hugs me. Even if it hurts my chest a bit I can't help but hug him back, I have missed him so much.

"Are you okay?" He says when he pulls away and he starts wiping my tears away that I didn't even realize that had started to stream down my face. 

"Yes. I have missed you." I say.

"Oh, I've missed you to bestie." He says and taps me on the nose and I smile at him. Of course, I wasn't okay, I haven't been okay since my parents died and I don't think that I will ever be.  But I can't tell him that, he has enough on his shoulders. 

"Are you up for dinner with us?"

"Is it already dinner?" I ask and he nods his head.

"Yes! I haven't eaten in three days." I say and Murphy's eyes clouds with anger? Sadness? I don't know what it is but it doesn't suit him, I only know him as the positive guy who lights up the darkness in my life.

"Shall we go?" I say, breaking the tension and slowly I get back the Murphy that I'm used to.

"Let's go." He says and we walk out of the room.

"Nevada, first the painkillers," Wilson says.

The dining hall is busy as the last time I was here, I kind of like it, the chaos evens out the one in my head. Wilson walks close to me quietly and I don't know why. Shouldn't he be with his douchy friends or Blondie? Murphy is walking next to me as we make it to where the food is and he talks about the time he went to Disney world when he was a kid and he almost threw up on the guy in the Goofy costume. He is so weird, I love it. We take our plates and grab our food and I can hear my stomach growl. Even if I haven't eaten anything in the last three days, the days before I only got one meal a day. Murphy and I make our way to the table we sat at the last time and Timothy, Gray and Sam are already sitting there. 

"Hey! Where have you been? I thought we would get a rematch at poker?" Gray chuckles.

"I got sick. But I'm here now." I say with a smile tugging on my lips and I sit down. I see another tray being put down beside me and I look up to see Wilson starting to sit beside me. Why is he sitting here? I look at the other guys and they are all but Murphy who is only focused on his pasta looking at Wilson in admire and confusion. 

"Lieutenant, to what do we owe this pleasure?" Gray says and coughs a bit. Lieutenant? I look at Wilson and raise an eyebrow. But he just waves his hand like it's nothing and starts eating. 

"So Nevada, what do you like to do?" Timothy says. That seems like such a normal question to ask that I'm almost confused at what he means. What do I like to do?

"Ehm. I love to draw and paint. I also like running, well if you grow up like I have grown up you kind of need to be a good runner." I say. I didn't mean for the last part to sound so bitter.

"That's nice. What do you draw?" Murphy asks. 

"I like to draw pretty much anything. But I like to draw the places that I have been, so I will never forget them."

"That's cool. I'm into photography, it's important to capture the little moments." Sam says.

"How did you guys get into the military?" I ask them wanting to steer the conversation away from me.

At least two hours later I have beaten them again at poker and we have talked and laughed a lot. I even heard Wilson chuckle a time or two. When I made a yawn Wilson insisted that we should go so I said goodbye to everyone and we left the room. Murphy was going to come later. We walk to my room in a comfortable silence.

"Are one of you going to stay with me like the last time this happened?" I ask him.

"Yes. Murphy is working tonight so you will be staying with me?" He says looking forward.

"I will be staying with you?" I ask confused.

"There is no hospital bed in your room and I don't want to sleep on the floor." He says and I nod. We got to my room and I brush my teeth and change into the shorts and a larger t-shirt that Murphy had brought me before I went to the animal cage. They were his but I liked that they were big, it made them very comfortable to sleep in. I walk out of the bathroom and Wilson raises an eyebrow.

"Murphy." Is all that I say. He puts on my handcuffs and we walk out of my room. It feels weird calling it mine, maybe I should stop since it's really not. We walk for at least five minutes until we reach a door where he stops and unlocks it and I walk inside. To my left is a small kitchen that connects with a small living room with a sofa, rug, and a little table. There are two doors on the right. Wilson unlocks my handcuffs and I open the first door, very curious about how he lives. It's a bathroom but larger and nicer than mine. I walk to the other door to his bedroom where he has a much larger bed than mine with a comforter instead of a blanket. All around on the floor is books everywhere. There is a small bookshelf that seems ridiculous when you look at all the books he has. I walk out to the small living to see him laying on the sofa reading 'A tale of two cities'.

"You have a really nice place here," I say awkwardly. 

"Thanks," he says not looking up from his book.

"For you", he says and points at the table. I look confused and see that there is a sketchbook with pencils laying on there. I gasp and grab them quickly as if afraid that they will go away if I don't hurry.

"Thank you," I say to him and he waves his hand without looking up from his book.

"I really mean it, thank you so much," I say and he looks up from his book and smiles at me. I haven't gotten anything from anyone in the last seven years, I'm not used to kindness. The action means more to me than he can think. I sit down leaning on the wall and open it, I wonder what I will draw first. I look at the man laying in front of me and start sketching.