Chapter Twenty-two

Wilsons POV

It hurt holding her in my arms, walking towards the infirmary. I know she needs to be free of this place, it's killing her. But a selfish part of me wants her to stay. I need her. Even though she has been through hell and back, she still sees the beauty in things, in the small things. She is kind, thankful and brave. I don't know how she is so strong. She thinks that she doesn't have a light, but she is my light. The time here has made me go into a deep hole of sadness but she lights it up. I walk to the reception where Linda is sitting and I keep a stone cold face, as I have been taught to. She tells me to follow her so I do and I walk into the usual room and put her down on the bed. I resist the urge to pull her into my arms again and look at her one last time and it hurts. I have been a fool to not realize how strong my feelings toward her is. I need to leave before I break down. I say that I need to work and I hear that Linda says something but I don't know what, I don't care. 

I start walking towards the loading bridge so I can get a car and go patrolling. I liked patrolling, I was at least outside and could clear my head. Inside these walls are so much pain, so much suffering. I hear a loud noise that sounds like a bomb and the building shakes. They are here. Nevada never told me how the rescue would happen, if she even knew so I don't know what's happening. An alarm is starting to shout and I start running to the loading bridge. On my way out, I hear more loud crashes, screams, and people running. I get outside and see men standing frozen looking at the sky with shock in their gazes and I follow them. A large ship in the form of a circle is flying away from the base. It's metallic with small lights coming from it in its shape. A few seconds later it's out of our sights. I feel joy knowing that Nevada is away from this place now.

"Get to the Common Halls, now!" Boss is screaming from the speakers that are put all around the base. All the men start moving from their frozen states and start walking to the Common Hall. It's a huge room where we are supposed to go in case of emergency, meetings or news. I get there and the room starts filling with people and Boss is standing with on the stage at the end of the room with a mic. I feel a tap on my shoulder and turn around to see Murphy standing next to me with a weak smile and I nod to him. I know how he feels. After a few minutes, Boss starts speaking.

"Today we were attacked by aliens. These risks are we well aware could happen but we have always thought we have had a strong front. But minutes ago many of you men were running from the danger screaming like little girls! You who did will be punished and there will be more training for all of you! Back to your posts!" He spits out the words with disgust and when he is done he just walks off the stage and goes out of the room. The room starts clearing out. I guess many people don't understand what just happened and that Boss wants to keep it that way, otherwise, it would be chaos.

"Murphy Garzia and Alexander Wilson, please go to the infirmary." I hear from the speakers and me and Murphy look at each other. They rarely used the speakers to tell the soldiers where to go, they usually used the beepers so this must be really urgent. We walk in silence to the infirmary and I feel sick the entire walk. Something is wrong. It has just been an alien attack, they shouldn't worry about me and Murphy right now, we were not with Nevada during their rescue. We reach the infirmary and Max is sitting at the desk at the reception and wears an expression like nothing has happened. Men and women who are wounded are filling the room, some even sitting on the floor.

"We were called to be here," I say and he looks at us back and forth.

"Weird, she should stay overnight since the surgery but we don't have any room for that." He responds and looks at his computer. What is he talking about? 

"You can wait outside the surgery room, it's room 34." He says and points to his left and we walk there confused. All I want to do is read a book and go to sleep. We stop outside of the room and we look into it through the glass. My heart drops. Nevada is laying on the table, lifeless.

"No. No. No." Murphy says next to me and pulls his hair. I put a hand on his shoulder.

"Not now. Cameras." I whisper to him and he nods and stands straight again. She shouldn't be here, she should be long gone. How did this happen? A sick and twisted part of me is happy she is still here. We stand there looking at her until a doctor that I haven't seen before comes to us.

"Garcias and Wilson, I assume?" He asks looking at the papers in his hands.

"Take her to her room, we don't have space, there are so many injured. Give her these painkillers if she wakes up." He says without looking at us and gives me the medicine and walks away. We walk inside the room, she looks so pale, weak and dead on the bed. I begin pulling the bed out the door and towards her room, I can't stand looking at her like this. I can't show any emotions with so many people watching me but I feel fury inside me, I want to find whoever did this and kill them.