Chapter thirty-two

Wow! I can't believe my story has over 2K reads! Thank you all so much. 

I didn't sleep at all, but time seemed to past quickly anyway because before I knew it the sun was starting to rise. I look over at Wilson who is laying on his back beside me with the blanket up under his chin. He looks younger like this, more vulnerable. I'm not used to being close to people, I haven't even hugged anyone in years. My heart clenches at the thought of my parents, they did love me more than anything. I sit up and shake his shoulder.¨

"Wilson, wake up." I'm curious and nervous about knowing what happened yesterday. He flutters his eyes open and I hand him a water bottle and a protein bar that he immediately takes. I look at him and can't help to think that he would be in better shape if he was still at the base but I stop myself. He is an adult who can make his own decisions. After a few minutes of silence, he is done and looks at me.

"What happened yesterday? Did you get in contact with your sister?" I ask and he nods.

"I talked to her and my best friend on the phone, she is going to stay with him until we get there." He stands up and starts putting everything in the bag. Was that all? Maybe he doesn't want me to go with him?

"We should get going but we need to find more water and food, we also need new clothes." He says again without looking at me.

"Is everything okay? I mean besides everything." I ask him and he looks up to me and he looks so bitter that it almost makes me want to laugh. 

"What do you mean?"

"You are the definition of that Katy Perry song, hot and cold. Are you bipolar?" I ask the last part seriously. He looks at me weirdly and raises an eyebrow and a laugh escapes I but quickly cover my mouth when I realize what I did. Now he is going to be pissed, but he doesn't have a reason to be. I'm going to stand up for myself and not be mad at myself for saying the wrong things, I vow to myself. Doc broke me, but I have gotten the opportunity to glue myself back together. But instead of being mad Wilson starts chuckling and continues to pack our things. 

After walking for a few hours and away from the stream, I'm bored and tired.

"Are we going to walk to Florida?" I say with a tone that tells him that I'm not up for it.

"No, but they are probably guarding the train and bus stations, the roads and airport. We just need to get to Arizona, we should be there by night. But if I'm right, there should be a gas station if we walk right instead of straight ahead, we need food and water." He says and I nod. ¨

"How do you know that there is a gas station?" I ask curiously.

"I studied maps before we left and I have tried walking us by them, the stream has been a help." So he is smart too.

"How old are you?" I ask him, realizing that I don't know that about him.

"Twenty." He says and then keeps quiet. 

"You are not a talker are you?" I have to walk faster to keep up with him since he is much taller than me. 

"I'm taught to keep my mouth shut, but there is a lot going on in my head." He finally looks at me and has a strange look on his face and his eyes show a lot of emotions.

"Wanna share those thoughts? I'm bored out of my mind." I smile. 

"It feels good seeing you smile again. You were in such darkness, I can't blame you, but I just wanted the real you back." He says and continues looking me in the eyes. 

"I wanted me back to."

We walk for about thirty minutes towards the store and I drag a hand through my hair frustrated but I almost cry out as my hand gets stuck in a tangle. I never really cared about my appearance throughout the years, but I brushed my hair. Now it actually hurt.

"My hair. How many tangles?" 

"It looks like a birds nest." He says and chuckles and I punch him on the arm as the gas station comes into view. 

"Okay, so I distract the owner and you pick things?" He asks me and I nod my head. I would totally suck at distracting, but shoplifting I could do. I had to multiple times steal food so I wouldn't starve when I lived with my foster parents. Wilson tries to push my hair down behind my ears and then put his cap over my head. We walk over the road and through the door of the gas station and it gives off a ping sound. The store looks really old and smells like alcohol and has multiple aisles. Wilson walks up to the counter as I try to come up with an excuse to not go with him so the owner doesn't get suspicious.

"Go ahead, I'm going to look for some tampons," I shout towards them and I cringe from embarrassment. I feel myself go red and I walk down an aisle, couldn't I have come up with something better? Well, thanks to Doc I haven't had my period for two months, considering my body is too weak. I open the backpack and put some cans of soup, pasta, and fruit in it.

"Two people... on the run...wounded." I hear a few words that Wilson is saying. I walk to the next aisle and grab a soap bar and wet wipes from the shelves. I also see a hairbrush and hair ties that I take. I also grab a lot of water and protein bars. I pass the last shelf where there are some clothes. There is only one option for us both, I take a black hoodie and sweatpants for me and blue sweatpants for Wilson and a black t-shirt that has an alien on it. The irony. I also take two white caps. After I'm done I emerge from the shelves.

"Well, if you see anything, call us. Didn't you find anything, Sarah?" Wilson says when he sees me.

"Not in my size." I say nonchalant and walk out the door and Wilson follows and he chuckles.