Chapter Fifteen

Wilsons POV

It's been a week since they took Nevada back to that animal cage and Murphy has not been himself at all. He hasn't been joking or happy. I told him that I saw her three days ago with Will, that she looked okay and that made him glad. But she didn't look okay. She looked so angry, her eyes looked like a storm, she looked like she wanted to tear Linda apart. We locked eyes for a second but she looked away, after she went away I asked Linda if she knew anything about Nevada. She just shrugged it off and said that she has been present for some of the experiments, no wonder Nevada wanted her dead. I just stood there for a few minutes before I excused myself. Sure, Linda was a beautiful girl, but she bored me to death. Murphy and I were going to get her from Doc a week ago but we were told that she wasn't going to be in our care for a week if she behaves. He told us she had called Doc a bitch and a psycho, internally I smiled because that's what I have been wanting to tell her for a while. Hell, probably what half of the people here wanted to tell her. 

I haven't been able to get her off my mind and I don't know why. She has been haunting me for the past week like a ghost, I hate it. I'm a part of this wicked game that is killing her even if I'm not here by choice. But now that I am going to get her from that inhuman cell, I can't lie and say that I won't be happy to see her. She has been through so much and still, she has that fire in her and she can still see the beauty in little things, it makes me smile. Get yourself together, I think to myself. I'm laying in my bed in my room, I was one of Reth's favorites, the man who kidnapped Nevada, the commanding officer. I had worked myself up the food chain so I got my own room while most of the men and women were in rooms of four. Books are piled on the floor since the bookshelf was getting overloaded. I also had a bathroom and a little kitchen and living room. It was kind of like a small apartment. I put down 'A tale of two cities' that I have been reading and put on shoes since I already have my uniform on. I was guarding the border into the base all morning, I never believed in the Area 51 conspiracy theories until I was a part of the horrors that took place behind its walls. I look at myself in the mirror and run a hand through my hair, why do I even care about how she thinks that I look? I shake my head trying to wake myself up and walk out of the door to finally meet Nevada again.

I walk to the infirmary first since I was called to be so. I walk to the reception where Will is sitting.

"Will. I was ordered to be here before I get Nevada from her cell."

"Yes, she is off for a week, only observations every day. She will need this medication two times every day, morning and night to recover fully from the surgery." I'm a master of not showing my emotions so I keep a blank expression as I grab the bottle of pills. But on the inside, a rage is building up. What surgery? I know I shouldn't ask him, I can't act like I care because they will find out. I will ask Nevada about it.

"Have a nice day," I say and walk out of the hospital wing before he can respond. I walk with firm steps and my head high. I see other military men and women looking at me as I walk past them, but I don't even glance at them. I'm highly respected amongst the others here, either they want to be me or want to be with me. I get to Nevadas cage, there is a wheelchair outside of it and I can see her laying on her back with her eyes closed. I open the door and walk towards her.

"Nevada, wake up!" I can't sound nice or happy to see her, they are observing her through the camera. I see her eyes flutter open and they are red and irritated like she has been crying.

"Are you real? Please help me, it hurts." She says and I can feel my chest tighten at the sound of horror in her hoarse voice. 

"I'm real, let's get you out of here," I say and take the wheelchair to the bed and lifts her up in it and she has a pained expression on her face. I strap her to the chair so that she can't fall out and I start to take her to roll her to her room. I wonder what happened to her, what they did. Shouldn't the aliens' blood heal her? Don't show any emotions. Why am I even feeling bothered? I would probably be bothered by anyone going through this, yes that's probably it. 

We get to her room and I open the door and take her inside and roll her next to the bed and pick her up in my arms and lay her down. 

"I have medication you need to take," I tell her. She nods her head with her eyes closed. Why is she in so much pain. I get her a glass of water and give her a pill and she takes it and swallows. I look at the bottle, painkiller, that's good. She lays back down and I sit next to her on the floor, not wanting to leave her. I look up at her and see that she is sleeping. I tuck a strand of her from her face behind her ear, I just can't help myself.

"What happened to you?" I whisper.