28

Brenna

Brenna

SOS. Can you pick up Chelsea from swimming lessons? Noah's stuck in a traffic jam. I can't leave the coffee shop. KJ or Jayden can't make it, either. I'm out of options, Harrison.

I'm running to my vehicle on Friday night.

Despite my shitty circumstances, I can't bail on Chelsea. Leaving her stranded at swimming lessons isn't an option.

So, when Mom stops me at the front door, shit goes down.

"Where are you going?" she asks. Worry forms a crease between her brows.

I roll my eyes. "You're concerned about me now? Doubt it."

Just like I did with Shea, I shove past her. Shoving is the only thing I'm good at.

Stopping at the front door, I glance over my shoulder. Mom stands near the closet, her shoulders slumped. "Although I shouldn't tell you where I'm going, I will. Shea needs me to pick up his sister from swimming lessons. His cousin can't make it due to traffic coming toward West Kelowna. Shea's working at his family's coffee shop. I'm dropping Chelsea off there." Feeling indifferent, I cock an eyebrow and add, "How does it feel to be told the truth? I wouldn't know."

Mom flinches, and I turn my back to her. I have nothing left to say.

Driving to H2O Adventure and Fitness Centre takes twenty minutes. Before turning onto Gordon Drive, I wonder which vehicle belongs to Shea's cousin. At this rate, traffic is backed up past UBCO because of an accident. I hope Noah's able to turn off of the highway at some point. Shea said he let Noah know I'm picking Chelsea up.

I don't bother finding a spot in the parking lot. Instead, I pull up into the roundabout in front of the fitness centre. The building is red with large windows giving outside viewers a view of the pool area. Condensation slides down the windows as kids behind them splash and slide down the water slides.

Despite the business inside, the roundabout isn't busy. I pull into the pickup zone and shift into park, killing the engine. After slipping my keys into my pocket, I grab my phone and exit the vehicle.

The pavement is damp, sprinkled with blue salt to combat the icy conditions. Snow covers the grass and shrubs, outlining the damp pathway.

Once I'm inside, I'm welcomed by humidity and the subtle smell of chlorine. The rush of blenders from Jugo Juice fills the air, diminishing the voices echoing in through the entryway. Families are waiting in line to pay for passes. A group of teenagers is waiting for smoothies.

Shea told me Chelsea would meet me next to the potted plants at the front.

Sure enough, she's there.

Chlorinated water drips from her hair, soaking the light-pink T-shirt she's wearing. Her skinny jeans are ripped and her Converse shoes are scuffed. A pink backpack hangs from her shoulder. She's chewing on her thumbnail, looking nervous as her eyes scan the area for Shea.