Bonus Chapter #1: The Proposal

Brenna

Brenna

Since our "run-in" on Granville Street last year, Shea and I have been taking it slow. Now that university is over and I've opened my own practice for physical therapy, life is making sense. Shea's career as a professional hockey player has taken off. We're happy together. Everything is on the upswing. 

That's why it was a fitting decision when we decided to move in together. Lynn Valley is in Northern Vancouver, and up until Shea took me home after his game a year ago, I'd never visited. I fell in love with his house. The style and the location. Even now, with us living together, the house holds promise. There are three empty bedrooms, two if you don't count the spare room meant for guests. And that's not including our master bedroom. Pair that with three bathrooms, two floors, a gym downstairs, and an open-concept kitchen?

Yeah, I'm bragging a little. That's what happens when you're dating a hot-shot hockey player.

But the best part? Lynn Valley reminds me of West Kelowna. It has less city-ish vibes and there are some great local food locations. Plus, we have access to hiking trails and a great swimming hole in the park. 

While the living conditions are superb, it is difficult being the girlfriend of a hockey player. Especially when you're also a well-known hockey player. After being MVP on UBC's team and playing for Team Canada in the Olympics, the bar is set high. Having a shot at winning gold at the Olympics twice more is invigorating, but also nerve-wracking. Then, on top of that, there's still sexism and toxic news outlets on social media. Despite playing hockey and being an advocate for equality within the hockey community, I'm still labelled as a puck bunny or a woman who wants to be with Shea because he's rich.

That's not the case.

I'm a hard-working woman with two jobs and a boyfriend who loves me.

Shea struggled when we first made our relationship public. He didn't want to piss off the franchise or media, but he continued to have meetings with his PR, and they developed a framework to follow. Shea's fearlessness is reflected in that. He doesn't give a fuck about what fans or other hockey players think about him. He defends me and other women, as well as the BIPOC and LGBTQIA2S+ communities. He has a foundation for hockey equality and also plays a big role at BC Children's Hospital. I help out with these, too. Not because it looks good regarding our reputations, but because the world needs equality.

Did I mention I have an amazing boyfriend?

Issues aside, the summer months are my favourite time of year. Why? Because Shea is off for the season and work is inevitably slower. This means we're able to make up for lost time.

Like today.

Today, we're packing a picnic lunch and going down to the suspension bridge and swimming hole in Lynn Canyon Park. It's hot outside, and a swim is what we need. Maybe we'll do a bit of hiking prior to cooling off in the swimming hole.