25

Shea

Shea

Something's wrong.

Brenna isn't playing hockey.

Last time she missed a game, we were nine. She'd broken her arm snowboarding.

Harrison would never miss a game.

Leaning back in my seat, I take a sip of my hot chocolate and search the arena for any signs of her. I'm thinking she's somewhere in the stands. Perhaps she pulled a muscle during last night's game and could not play today. Then again, Brenna is the type of person who would push through an injury to play, despite the consequences.

"Where the hell is Brenna?" Jayden mutters.

My gaze flicks to his coffee. It's resting in the cup holder between our seats. He hasn't touched it. "I don't know," I reply, still staring at the coffee. Something's wrong with me. Brenna's lack of presence shouldn't shock me so much. But it does. "I'm kind of... worried."

KJ and Jayden tease me with a mocking gaze.

"What?" KJ gasps, pressing a hand to his chest. "J, did I hear him right? Is... Is Shea Smith worried about Brenna Harrison?"

Jayden presses a hand to his forehead. "I think I need to lie down."

Slouching in my seat, I push my ball cap down, obscuring their views of my face. I balance my hot chocolate on my thigh. "Fuck off. Both of you."

KJ reaches over and squeezes my shoulder. "We're just teasing you."

"No shit," I fire back.

While the two of them snicker, I stare ahead at the ice. Without Brenna, West Kelowna is holding up fairly well. They've lost their dynamic. Hunter and Nick are lost without their centre. Even their coach looks desperate.

I set my drink down in the cup holder. My gaze sweeps across the arena, taking in the ice, benches, and the seating. The seats are a deep red and quite full, considering this is a game for third place in the tournament. Finding Brenna in the stands would be impossible.

I tap my foot against the concrete. Where the hell is she? Part of me is wondering if Brenna's dead. She would never miss a hockey game. Ever.

The other half of me believes she's injured. It's serious enough Brenna decided to not play. Or her mom forced her not to.

While the minutes tick by, my knee continues to bounce. I've forgotten my about my hot chocolate. Every person I see in the stands isn't Brenna. I don't notice her usual long braid. Or the royal blue ball cap she'll always wear to games.

After ten minutes have passed, I can't take sitting around anymore. I have Brenna's number. I'll call her and see where she is. Besides, Jayden and KJ want to know what's going on, too.

"I'll be back," I mutter.

KJ and Jayden exchange a glance. One of them looks concerned. KJ is smirking.