Bonus Chapter #2: No Nuts Allowed

Brenna

Brenna

Ella and Melody are standing behind me as I gather the gift basket we put together for Shea. He's just gotten out of surgery, which took about thirty minutes. The sedatives will last much longer, but I want to be there when he wakes up. Which is why I'm gathering all the goodies now.

"Melody," I say. "Could you manage the balloons? I won't be able to carry the basket if I carry the balloons, too." There's a small snicker in my voice.

Hah. Ball-oons. I can literally make a joke about everything today.

Melody gives me a look, her lips twisted to the side as if she's trying to prevent herself from laughing. She gives her head a soft shake and looks away, grabbing the balloons from the back of the vehicle. "Just to let you know, if Kal ever decides to follow Shea's footsteps, we can't celebrate. He'll eat this shit up."

"So will Shea," I smile. "Hence the reason we're doing it. And if KJ ever gets a vasectomy, then we need to double the antics. He needs a cake in the shape of a dick and everything."

To my right, Ella snorts. When I look at her, she's leaning against the vehicle for support, nearly pissing herself. Ever since I presented the idea, Ella's been helping me put the basket together. Melody did, too, but Ella was invested.

She wants to make sure Shea knows she had a hand in this because their relationship is very dependent on banter and sarcasm. After some thorough effort, she found some fantastic ideas and a couple of products off of Etsy. First, she found the T-shirt that says All juice, no seeds and has a picture of a glass of orange juice with two large navel oranges on either side. Second, she found a card that says Sorry about your nuts and has a sketch of two walnuts with a knife embedded in them.

It's a good thing Shea has a sense of humour, otherwise he might find these offensive. Some of them, like the Sour Patch Kids candy with the words 'Sour Patch' covered by a piece of paper that says No, are a little controversial. If he had any reproductive issues, I never would give him something like this. But I know Shea. Plus, he made the decision to get a vasectomy.

"Sorry," Ella gasps, wiping the tears from her cheeks. She straightens her posture, but she's still leaning against the vehicle. "But all of these jokes are killing me. I can't wait to see Shea's reaction. Especially when he's high on pain meds."

"The underwear are my favourite," I laugh, holding them up. They're a pair of grey boxer shorts with a picture of an eggplant and the saying Recreational Use Only. "Also, Shea is hilarious when he's high. He had his appendix removed after we graduated from high school, and when I went to visit him at the hospital, he was a mess. Not in a bad way, but still a mess. He loses his filter and has way too much lazy energy."

"So he's Drunk Shea?" Melody quips. "With an extra dose of slow motion."

"Pretty much," I laugh. Grabbing the basket, I close the hatch and lock the vehicle. Then I make sure everyone's ready to go.