35

Brenna

Brenna

"You chickened out?!" Ella exclaims. "Brenna! After the discussion we had?"

"He accused me of having an eating disorder!"

"For the record," Hunter inputs. "He did not. Shea was concerned about your comment, Brenna. Trust me. I heard the conversation. All he did was express his concern." He pauses. "It concerned me, too, Bren."

I flash Hunter a look. "You're not helping."

Hunter shrugs. He's dressed in a dark pair of jeans and sleek button up. We're climbing the stairs to his house. Hunter picked us up because his driveway doesn't have enough room for several vehicles. "You're avoiding your emotions, Brenna. It's not healthy."

"Why is everyone concerned about my health?!"

Ella stops mid-step, cocking an eyebrow. "Because we care about you?"

I adjust the bag of presents hanging from my arm. My mood is plummeting.

I roll my eyes. "Okay, Hella, knock it off."

Hunter frowns. "Hella?"

"That's your nickname. Hella. You're acting like a married couple that's worried about their youngest daughter."

Ella's grin is crooked as she glances at Hunter. "That's a good name."

Hunter grins, too. He nudges Ella. "We may have to explore that."

They both burst out laughing. Hunter and Ella would never date. Hunter's too engrossed by Willa, and Ella is still in love up with KJ. Besides, they're too much alike. I believe in the opposites attracting each other. Dating someone like you would be like dating yourself. Predictable. Annoying.

While they continue to discuss their couple name, I remove my phone from my pocket. As usual, it lags when I turn it on.

I tap the screen. After I broke mine, I ordered a new one online. With Christmas being so close, the mail system is backed up. I won't get mine until after Boxing Day. That's why I'm stuck with the one I had prior to the one I broke. It's slow and annoying.

"Goddamn it," I mutter. I tap the screen again.

"Tapping the screen won't do anything," Hunter teases.

I stick my tongue out at him.

"Mature," he notes.

We're at the front door, so Hunter opens it for Ella and I. Hunter's parents have left for the evening, but it feels like his mom is still here. The scent of her favourite candle reminds me of her. It's Frosted Cranberry from Bath & Body Works. A smile tugs at my lips as I kick my shoes off. Hunter's mom is a sweetheart.

And Hunter is just like her.

Right away, he's explaining where everything is, who's here, et cetera. He's being what his mom would call a good host.