38

Shea

Shea

"Preston's birthday being on New Year's Eve is fucking ridiculous," KJ complains.

We're climbing the steps to Preston's house. Already, we can hear the thumping of bass and smell weed lingering in the air. Snow coats the pathway to the porch stairs.

KJ stops at the front door. With his hand on the handle, he turns to us. His breath comes out in white puffs as he asks, "Are you sure we should do this?"

Jayden snorts. "We don't have to stay long, Jones. We agreed to make an appearance. Stand united against Connor."

I rub my face. Connor will be livid. He's been kicked off of the team. Both coaches called him out. Their conversation was in a private setting, but Connor exited that room with his tail between his legs. That's what both coaches told us after our game against West Kelowna.

Rumours say otherwise.

Preston and the rest of Connor's friends were filling the locker room with lies. They tried to say Connor quit the team because he feels too good for this tier. Or that he's been scouted by the Kelowna Rockets and they've given him a try out slot. Jayden says they're spreading the same rumours at KSS, with Connor flashing his smug grin. Everyone is praising that asshole. Putting him on a pedestal.

It makes my blood boil. He needs to own up to what he did. Both of us should've been kicked off of the team. My only saving grace was Brenna. It's because of her I'm still playing hockey.

I hope he falls off of that pedestal and down a rabbit hole. Lost forever.

Fuck him.

"Let's just hurry," I mutter. I'm freezing cold. The past five days have been nothing but snow. It's a wonder anyone can drive anywhere. If snow continues to fall, at least let it prolong our Winter Holidays. "Make sure people see our faces, then leave. We should be with Brenna and the rest of them."

Brenna and her mom are having a New Year's Eve party. One all of us were invited to. The invitation extended to our families, too. Chelsea and Mom are there. KJ's mom is there, too, because she and Brenna's mom are work friends. Jayden says his parents don't care about parties. Suffice to say, we shouldn't be wasting our time with Connor's shenanigans. Tonight is an opportunity to apologize to Brenna's mom for my outburst and then spend time with my girlfriend.

Fuck, it feels good to call Brenna that.

Jayden claps me on the back. "Don't worry, man. We'll reunite you with your girlfriend before the clock strikes midnight."

His teasing tone irks me. This isn't some stupid fairytale.

KJ snorts. "God forbid he turns into a pumpkin." He eyes Jayden. "No. Wait. Let's hope we're not scampering around town searching for someone to fit a shoe because Prince Charming can't remember his true love's face."