15

Brenna

Brenna

Mom's not happy Shea is coming over again.

As she's attaching her ID to the front pocket of her jack-o-lantern scrubs, she continues to rant about him. "I thought this was a onetime engagement, Brenna. You know how I feel about that boy. He's—Goddamn it. Why won't this attach?"

"Mom," I sigh, taking the ID from her. She's too flustered to attach it. The clasp is also locked. Mom's shoulders sag as she watches me. "I told you our French project will run throughout the semester. If we continue meeting at Starbucks, I won't be able to afford gas for my car. Instead, we're going to meet at each other's houses. It's still costing us money, but not as much." I clip the tag to her pocket, making sure it's straight and her name is visible. "Before you yell at me, don't forget Shea and I have made a truce. We want a good grade for our transcripts. I promise I will not commit a felony."

There are times I want to throttle Shea, but I could never commit a felony. The picture on my wall is proof of that. Somewhere, under that thriving ego, I like to think my old friend still exists. Especially now, considering he's trying to keep his attitude under control.

Mom chuckles, patting my shoulder. "I'd still be your ally..."

"Mom," I snort, giving her a shove. "I would never kill someone—even Shea Smith. In case you don't remember, we used to be friends."

Mom opens her mouth, looking sullen. She's on the verge of giving me another lesson about friendships and how people grow apart. I'm not in the mood, so I cut her off.

"That doesn't matter," I continue. "All Shea and I are doing is working on our French project while we watch the Canucks game. And, if he doesn't like the Canucks, he can shove it up his ass."

We'll also hand out candy to the little kids—if I haven't eaten the entire bowl by then. Halloween isn't my favourite holiday, but it's not bad. I enjoy seeing all the costumes and the joy on their faces when they yell "Trick or Treat!"

While Mom organizes her bag, I swipe a Mars bar from the bowl and unwrap it. I should avoid chocolate bars. It's not good for my figure or health. But it's Halloween—a cheat day.

When Mom has gathered all her belongings, she leans against the counter across from me and removes Coffee Crisp from the bowl. Loose tendrils of brown hair bracket her face. "If you keep eating the candy, there will be none left for the trick-or-treaters."

"Says you!" I exclaim as she pops the mini Coffee Crisp into her mouth. "At least you're getting rid of the crappy chocolate bars, though. Who likes coffee and chocolate together?" I wrinkle my nose for added emphasis. "Mars bars are way better."

Mom shakes her head in disappointment. "Just like you believe sour cream glazed Timbits are better than the jelly-filled ones."

"They are!" I exclaim. "Hunter agrees with me!"