Chapter Forty-One

Brennen's POV

I didn't know how long I slept but Colby was not there beside me on his bed when I woke up. I immediately sat upright which cost me a headache.

Ouch, my head throbbed with pain for a while and I let it subsided slowly by itself.

I reached for my phone and checked the last messages and notifications. Suprisingly, Colby's name was at the top. Of course my finger quickly tapped towards his chat.

From: Colbyyy ❤🐨
For: Brennen Taylor

I need to leave to Kansas for a while. I'll be back in probably a week. Sorry didn't say bye coz I was rushin.

What??? Kansas. A week. What the heck? Why didn't he tell me this last night? How the hell am I supposed to live like this?

Okay okay..I was probably being over dramatic. Urgh..what had happened to me? I was so deep with this Kansas boy.

Brennen Taylor don't do relationships.

Well that's in the past now I guess.

I replied with a simple okay and a winking face before completely giving up on the phone and turning it off. Now to deal with the situation.

I was in Colby's bedroom alone which was located across from Sam's. How was I going to get out of this one? What dumb stories that could get me out?

"Hey what's up Col- BRENNEN?? What the hell are you doing here?" A girl shrieked when she saw me.

I raised my head and saw Miss Caroline Hattaway standing there dressed in almost a streetwear but obviously failed. She was wearing a red Anti Social-Social Club t-shirt with a black leather skirt and brown pumps. She also had a pair of sunglasses on her head. But I wouldn't lie, Colby might have like it if he had seen it.

"Fell asleep in here last night" My response was short.

"WhatEver. Where is Colby?" She rolled her eyes.

"Didn't ask Sam when you came here? Oh right. You barged in without any permission" I made sure she could hear the irony in my voice.

"I'm Colby's best friend. I have the right to come see him" Caroline crossed her arms.

"One of. Fine, I'll answer your dumb question. Kansas..he's back in Kansas" I groaned. One, because of this girl in front of me. Two, because of the headache that was literally killing me.

"What the hell is he doing back there?" Caroline sighed.

And I swear I heard an oh shit at the back of her sentence when she hit a realisation.

Colby's POV

"Colby?! What are you doing here back home?" My mother basically screamed when she opened the door.

I gave her my most fake smile I could've ever managed. I really didn't have the mood to be meeting my parents and uh 'friends'. Ever since I was on the plane, I kept on having thoughts about my cuts and it was really driving me nuts.

"I just got stuff to do. My friends called me back here to hang out for a bit. You okay with it?" I almost chocked on the word 'friends'.

"Yeah..this is your house too. Your father is out in DC for 3 days and I was actually about to leave and go meet up with my girls. Are you good with staying alone?" My mother explained.

"It's not that you haven't done that when I was still a kid so" I muttered but making sure she heard it before pushing pass her and into the house.

The door closed behind her like I had said nothing that would hurt her. It was fine..I was used to it anyways. All my life, I grew up by myself because my parents were too busy with work to take care of me.

And people still wonder why I'm so broken?

I didn't bother to go to my bedroom so I had just decided to lay on the sofa. Mehh..I was ninety-nine percent sure that my parents wouldn't bother to go into my room since I've left. It probably didn't gave much of an impact since even if I was here, I was as much as a ghost to them.

My eyes glanced at the clock. 2.34 p.m. It was still early for me. Then I just continued scrolling through my phone when I felt cool air touching my cuts softly. My eyes drifted to the area and I saw that my sleeves had fallen down. I sighed. That was my only natural reaction. Sighing.

The house was quiet and it had become a bit creepy because I was alone. A few seconds later, my phone rang and I quickly picked it up without really looking at the ID.

"What the hell are you doing back there?!" Caroline's voice scolded me.

"I have stuff to do" I groaned.

"What stuff exactly? Colby..that place doesn't bring you good memories" Her voice softened.

"It is still a place I was born in. Oh and besides, LA doesn't bring me good memories also but you don't have any say with that huh" I rolled my eyes.

"But what about...Michael and Max?"

"They're the reason I came back in the first place"

I hung up. Though I didn't want to admit it, my hometown do bring a lot of haunting memories. Everything that had ever happened to me came rushing back piece by piece. I was scared.

Michael and Max. The Resnez brothers. I had bad history with them in high school. Really really bad history. I once attempted suicide because of them. Max was much much worse than his brother to be honest.

Now Michael? He was the typical bully. He'd pushed me into lockers, shoved me into trash cans and threw hateful insults. I had gotten used to him. I had lived with him torturing me.

But Max. He lied to me. He pretended to be my friend. Made me trusted him and tell him everything. My insecurities. Just for him to tell it all to his brother. There was one secret in particular that ruined me.

I had went on one date with his girlfriend. Only one. And I had told Max about it. Then the next night, there was a party at his house. Sam told me not to go but I didn't listen. I went anyways and Michael beated the shit out of me. My 'friends' didn't do anything, they watched and left me alone.

I had woken up in a hospital the same night but Sam got me out. He sent me home and didn't really say anything about it. But I was furious at the brothers so I went to their house and messed with their bikes. I didn't even think about what the outcome would be. I had just wanted them to pay. Then the next morning, I got a message from Sam. He told me that the brothers got into an accident. A bad one. I had even heard that Michael went into a coma so I cut off all ties with Max and everyone.

What I couldn't really get over was that I didn't feel anything.

Now Max texted me and said that he wanted to talk with me. And I know I needed to do this before I completely lose myself.