Chapter Thirty-Eight

Sam paced back and forth in his bedroom. He had been restless ever since that call he had with Caroline in the morning about three hours ago. Questions had clouded his mind for hours. Questions about his very own best friend.

Caroline asked him if they had needed alcohol for any of their upcoming videos which left him weirded out because they never used alcohol in their videos. Never. Then she began telling him about what her friend had told her last night. All those information just made him more stressed and freaked out. 

It didn't help either that he was completely drunk last night. He and Kat had went on a date to a bar not that far away from their apartment and he had gotten wasted. Thanked god Kat was there to take care of him. 

One thing he feared the most was the thought of Colby relapsing. Last time, it had gotten so bad that Colby was hospitalized. He had attempted to take his own life and lost a huge amount of blood. Luckily Sam got there in time. It was a secret that both of them keep. No one else know about it. Not even their families.

"Sam..here, think some water will help you calm down a bit" Katrina brushed Sam's shoulder softly and gave him the glass of clear water.

"Thank you babe. Are you sure that Colby didn't do anything weird last night? Anything?" Sam pecked Kat's lips just to say thanks. His voice was worried.

"Well, I did saw him walk out of the bathroom at midnight but that's all. He wasn't holding anything..but to think about it again, his hair and clothes were a bit wet and his body language seemed like he wanted to avoid me at all cost" Katrina explained.

She then slowly took a seat on the edge of the bed. She hated seeing Sam like that, worried, stressed and a complete messed. She admired the love Sam had for Colby..it literally made them seemed like brothers. To be honest, she was starting to worry about Colby as much as Sam and Caroline are.

Sam didn't give a response. He closed his eyes and breathed heavily as he gulped down the glass of water empty. All of this thinking and worrying had made him thirsty. He was starting to get dizzy too. He couldn't forgive himself if anything happened to his best friend.

"Hey baby..."

"Yeah, Kat?"

"Colby's in his room right now. If it'll help, I suggest you go talk to him. I think he needs you right now, even if he doesn't want to admit it"

Sam turned around and faced his beautiful dropped dead gorgeus girlfriend. What on earth did he do to deserve her..only the universe had the answer to that but hey, he was not complaining. Katrina Stuart had been his anchor to not drifting away and he was grateful for her. His own personal sunshine.

"Okay, babe. I'll do just that" 

Sam crouched a bit in front of Kat and leaned in to connect their lips softly. Both of them closed their eyes as Sam's hand traveled from Kat's shoulders to her hair. His touch was gentle, soft like a feather. Katrina leaned in closer to deepened the kiss. They didn't know how long the sweet kiss lasted when they both pulled away at the same time.

"God, I love you so so much Kat"

"You don't need to ask me to know that I love you as much Sam"

Sam gave her a sweet smile that she gladly returned before he left and closed the door.  On to his journey to Colby's bedroom. He was already mentally prepared to face his best friend. He didn't remember how scary it was to have a heart to heart conversation.

"Colby? You in there?" Sam knocked on the door.

No response..

"Colbs? I just want to talk"

Still no response and only silence.

"Go away Samuel..I'm not in the mood to talk right now" A small response could be heard after a few minutes but that was not acceptable.

Sam shoved open the door to reveal an annoyed looking Colby Brock that had a headphone on his head. The room was dark, the only light coming from his computer screen. Sam noticed that Colby's eyes were red too like he had stayed up the whole night added with drinking. It broke him to see his best friend like that but he held it in together.

"Oh Colby...did you relapse again? You know you can tell me anything and that I wouldn't judge you whatsoever" Sam walked inside the room and closed the door.

"No. No, I'm fine Sam. Everything's fine and yeah I do know that but the thing is..you're not exactly always available" Colby sighed and took of his headphone then closed his Mac.

"Really? I know when you're lying Colby. I bet you wouldn't pulled up your sleeves right now if I asked you to" Sam shook his head.

"You're right..I wouldn't. Tell me Sam, why are you here exactly? Is it the feeling of responsibility to take care of me because I'm your best friend? Or did Kat tell you to? Or..maybe it's that you wanted to prove to me that you know me so well?" Colby groaned. Even at that moment, his voice was still slow and measured.

Colby loved Sam. He really appreciated all the times Sam was there for him, through his highs and lows. He realizes that Sam genuinely care what happens to him. He didn't want to hurt Sam's feelings. Not again. He hurt his best friend too many times before and he would not do it right now, when he was breaking. But this is his automatic reflex when in dark places. 

To push away every single person that cares about him.

"You want to know why I'm here Cole? I am here because I care about what happens to you. I will never forgive myself if I lose you to something that I can prevent. You're my best friend Colby and we're bound by blood. So fuck it, even if you'll fucking hate me after I helped you..I don't care. At least I know that I saved you" Sam's voice was determined and sharp.

Both of them didn't say anything after that. They stared into each other eyes without any movement. Colby thought that he was going to miss this when he's gone. To him, he was too broken beyond repair.

"You know what, Samuel? I do hate you for trying. I do hate you for not giving the heck up"

Sam broke their gaze and turned away. He would never admit it but those words did hurt him. It scarred his heart..just to hear those words came out of Colby's mouth. He turned towards the door and put his hand on the handle before opening the door to leave.

"Then so be it, Cole".