Chapter Twenty-Three

"Colby, are you good? You don't seem like you're enjoying yourself so much..." Sam approached him just as the girls went to the restroom for a short break. They were at the beach already because apparently Sam had planned for all of them to watch the sunset before going to dinner.

           "I'm fine. There's nothing to worry about me. I'll find a way to cheer up a bit. Sorry for ruining the mood" Colby replied without looking directly into Sam's eyes. That bothered Sam so he grabbed Colby's wrist.

          "Tell me Colby, have I ever judge you for anything? I understand that you are not in your best times right now for reasons I don't know but please...if there's something wrong, don't be hesitant to tell me. I'm here for you" Sam slowly let go when he saw the girls approaching them from a distance.

           "I know that Samuel, you're my best friend. Thank you for trying" Colby faked a smile for reassurance though he knew that Sam won't be fooled by it but that seemed to shut him up as they were interrupted by Kat and Caroline.

          "Let's go to our spot. The sunset is closing in!" Katrina exclaimed with the brightest smile on her smile. Sam nodded and turned back his attention to Colby.

          "It's okay, go ahead. I'll catch up" He said with a smile on his face. It was true, he didn't want Sam to be tailing him like a lost puppy. The situation with Brennen was his problem to give a thought about.

          Colby watched as Sam and Kat walked together, sidebyside, to their spot earlier. He wasn't standing that far from them. Besides, he wasn't in the mood for some sunset watching. He closed his eyes with Brennen's face on his mind but was interrupted by a girl's voice. Caroline.

          He automatically opened his eyes and saw her standing there right in front of him with a concerned expression on her face. "Talk to me. No excuses".

          "Urgh..fine but we can't stay in one place. We need to walk" Colby grumbled.

          "How about by the seashore?" Caroline grinned secretly because she knew she won. He didn't notice her lame expression. "I don't really care..just walk close because I'm not going to repeat myself" Colby said and fastened his steps towards the seashore. Caroline already on his heels.

          "Now tell me, what's been bothering you?" She asked just as she managed to walk beside him. The smell of ocean filling their nose.

         "What else? That guy that seems to pop into my mind 24/7 named Brennen Taylor..." Colby kicked the water. The water splashed and hit Caroline's dress a little bit but she didn't comment on it. 

         "What did he do this time?" She was annoyed with the guy already and if he was the reason Colby's not himself, she's going to have a word with him. "Something happened between us two days ago. No, I won't tell you what exactly went down. Now, I think he's avoiding me and it's getting on my nerve" Colby finished and slowed his walking.

         Silence settled between them. Both of their eyes fell onto the beautiful sunset. When it was finally over, Caroline stopped walking and grabbed Colby's hand. That made him focused his attention on her.

        "Tell you what, how about you forget about him for a while. Maybe just for tonight. I want you to forget him and focus your attention on Sam, Kat and me. Chill a bit! It's supposed to be date night for all of us...we are all here for you so what do you say?" Caroline's eyes were hoping and that made Colby melt. He wanted to try.

       "Okay, I'll do it. Thank you, C...you always find a way to make me feel better. I Love you so much..as a friend I mean" Colby unintentionally blushed. Caroline shook her head and laughed. "You don't need to explain yourself, I know".

       They both walked towards the other pair. Colby had pulled his hand free a few minutes ago and somehow that made Caroline a bit disappointed but she quickly pushed it a side. They were closed but she knew that Colby doesn't have feelings for her.

       Sam was happy that Colby seemed to get out of his bad mood so they continued their day or might he say, night.