Devil's Backbone

"Sir, there are intruders in the living room." JARVIS announced in Tony's workshop and he squinted slightly.

"What do you mean intruders?" Tony pressed a hand to his arc reactor in a reflexive motion.  He wasn't keen on dealing with intruders.

"A woman and two men who bear striking resemblances to Captain Rogers and Sergeant Barnes have appeared from a swirling purple vortex. They are requesting to see you." JARVIS informed Tony.

Tony just set down his welding gear and made his way upstairs, stopping in the doorway of the living room as he listened to them bickering. The fake Captain America was scolding the woman for just teleporting them in without permission while the fake Sergeant Barnes was just looking amused.

"So sorry I cannot control whether or not I give a forewarning. Was I supposed to portal us to his front door so we could knock?" The woman sighed. "Don't answer that. Our friendly Inventor is here and watching us."

"Uh nice subject change. Hi, hello. Who are you?" Tony stared at them.

"I'm Kayla." Kayla flashed a smiled at Tony.

"I'm Captain Steve Rogers." Steve introduced himself, resting a hand on his girlfriend's shoulder.

"Nice try. Cap went down about 65 years ago in a plane crash. No one found his resting place. I would know because I'm funding the search." Tony crossed his arms. "And Sergeant Barnes fell off of a train before that. And I know he did not have a metal arm."

"HYDRA. I was captured by HYDRA. I survived because of what they did to me when they captured the 107th. I lost my arm on the fall." Bucky spoke, a grave expression on his face as he twisted and ripped the sleeve off that was covering his metal arm. He showed that hated red star that signified the Fist of HYDRA.

"HYDRA was destroyed when Cap put the plane in the water." Tony felt his chest seize slightly suddenly and the girl that had spoken before was next to him, rubbing his back as a soothing warmth filled him.

"Relax, Anthony Stark. We will not harm you. It was time for Steve and Bucky to return to the human realm. We need your help." Kayla spoke soothingly, letting her magic wrap around his heart and calming the frantic pounding that usually preceded a panic attack. "Breathe, Tony. Breathe."

Tony gasped raggedly, tapping over his reactor repeatedly and felt the familiar staccato sound calm him. He sat down in a plush chair, accepting the glass of water he was handed.

"I don't know what to think. Can JARVIS do a biological scan?" Tony questioned once he sipped his water.

"Steve isn't exactly human anymore. He's a god. Like me." Kayla explained, perching on Bucky's legs because she knew better than to just plop in Steve's lap in front of other people. They had discussed this beforehand when talking about what was and wasn't acceptable on Earth. "But you can scan him if he says it's okay."

"Fine by me." Steve confirmed, blinking as a blue light crossed over his body.

"DNA is a 99.99% match for Captain Steven Grant Rogers." JARVIS informed Tony.

"Huh. So his DNA stayed the same. That's good to know." Kayla hummed, pulling a notebook from thin air and writing it down.

"Can I scan you also?" Tony looked at Bucky who stiffened but then nodded. Kayla moved to stand next to Steve, watching curiously.

"DNA matches 95.99% to Sergeant James Buchanan Barnes." JARVIS told them.

"Where did the other 4% go though?" Steve looked puzzled as he looked at Tony.

"Not sure. I don't know what's been done to him but it could be why it's like that." Tony stroked his beard. "So you've proven who you are. That's a plus. Well, I still have no clue who you are but you said you're a goddess. And I don't believe in that kind of things but J said you arrived via purple portal and you pulled that notebook from thin air."

"Yes. But on Earth, I am simply Kayla Crane." Kayla smiled politely, gripping Steve's hand.

"She's our girl." Bucky pulled at the other two until they sat back down. Tony looked between the three and snorted.

"They're a package deal. Can't have one without the other. And frankly, I don't want to." Kayla looked fondly at Steve and Bucky from where she was perched on the arm of the couch.

"Makes sense. Aunt Peggy used to say you two were thicker than thieves." Tony rubbed a hand over his face, looking exhausted.

"Peggy?" Steve leaned forward almost eagerly. He wanted news about the people he had known back then.

"Yeah. She married a guy named Daniel. Nice guy really. Has a niece too named Sharon." Tony leaned back in his chair, fingers tapping on his thigh. "She's my godmother. I spent some holidays with her."

"I don't remember Howard and Peggy being close. She couldn't stand him really." Steve thought back to Stark Senior's interactions with Agent Carter. Kayla was keeping a close eye on Tony while Bucky read the discomfort in the inventor's body language.

"When was the last time you slept?" Kayla's mother hen tendencies reared their head as the tension filled the air. Steve's mutterings about Howard had clearly caused distress to Tony.

"Yesterday." Tony lied, having been awake for three and a half days. He truly could not remember when he had slept.

"Sir has not slept in three and a half days." JARVIS spoke right after Tony.

"Tattletale." Tony muttered. "Gonna donate you to a community college!"

"I am quaking, Sir." JARVIS' voice sounded dry, like this was an argument they'd had many times.

"Mister JARVIS, may I assist your Sir to bed?" Kayla was honestly delighted by the sassy AI which was unlike anything she had really seen.

"Yes, Miss Crane." JARVIS' voice sounded warmer which confused Steve who wasn't sure how the disembodied voice could really have emotions.

"What?! You're teaming up on me!" Tony sputtered and then yelped as he was pulled along by the hand as JARVIS directed Steve and Bucky to a guest room. Tony was unceremoniously pushed into his bedroom by the woman.

"Will you get ready for bed or do I have to do it for you?" Kayla crossed her arms, having seen the mutinous expression on Tony's face. "I can and I will. Mister JARVIS has given me permission to assist you. And he knows I will not harm you."

"I can do it myself!" Tony responded childishly, snatching up a clean pair of boxers and a new undershirt before disappearing into the attached bath to change after a super brief shower. He came back and laid under the covers, squirming as her gentle fingers touched his forehead.

"Sleep well, Tony Stark." Kayla murmured, giving him a silent gift of clear dreams. Tony snorted again, knowing the nightmares he thought waited him.

"Night." Tony watched her leave and then shifted to one of the few positions he could sleep semi-comfortably in.