Chapter Thirty-Three

∞∞∞

∞∞∞

∞∞∞

It was late when I came home that night, and I was surprised to find the lights still on and the house still flooded with laughter. Riley came bounding down the stairs just as I rounded the corner, and I swept him into my arms with a wide smile spread on my face and a twinkle in my eyes.

"Just where do you think you're going?" I asked.

The boy laughed.

"Isn't it past your bedtime?" I pressed, amused.

Riley grinned, before proclaiming, "I'm hungry~."

"Riley, please~." I scoffed, rolling my eyes as I placed him down on his feet. "Be more inventive. I've heard that one too many times."

With my hand on his back, I led him back upstairs; pausing once they hit the landing and stumbled across a confused Lisa.

"I thought I told you to go to bed~." Lisa said, frowning down at Riley.

"You can't just tell him..." I replied jokingly, "You have to force him. You have to tuck him in—to tie him to the bed if necessary!"

Riley laughed, releasing a loud squeal and ducking into his room when I reached down and began to tickle him. Making his way straight to the bed with a large grin on his face, he jumped in and slipped underneath the covers, watching as I followed in his footsteps to take a seat beside him.

"You want to know the real reason why I didn't want to go to sleep?" Riley asked.

I nodded. "Go on, surprise me."

His grin widened. "I wanted to see you."

I smiled. "Cute~... I'll give you that, but hopeless."

Riley laughed. "Seriously, now, NINI. I miss you. You're not even there to bug me to write my homework anymore."

"I'm sorry, baby~..." I said, genuinely regretful, as I brushed a lock of khaki hair away from his face. "I'll finish this project soon. And once it's done, it's done. Everything will go back to normal. Besides, I've only being missing out on bugging you to do your homework for two days."