Chapter Fifteen

∞∞∞

∞∞∞

∞∞∞

That day, I came to take Jennie and Riley to lunch, but as soon as the front door opened, I realized that something was wrong. Jennie was as pale as a sheet, and she had a glass of water in her hand. There was no other evidence to lead me to that conclusion, but I knew her – and that was enough.

"Are you alright?" I asked, frowning, giving her the chance to tell me about it on her own.

Jennie, on the other hand, nodded. "My head hurts, but it's nothing serious."

Skeptical, I closed the distance between us and placed the back of my hand over her forehead, checking her temperature.

Jennie closed her eyes in relief and then feeling my cold hand touching her heated skin.

"You're burning up..." I whispered my realization, dark eyes meeting brown ones.

"It must be the common cold." Jennie dismissed, swatting my hand away. "Do you think you can handle Riley on your own for tonight? I could take care of him, but he's annoyingly protective. He could make me go to the hospital with the simple promise to shut up – and that would be a drag."

I huffed a half-amused, half-astonished breath. Even after all the time that had passed since I entered their lives, the relationship between them never failed to amaze me. "That's good." I concluded.

Heaving a sigh, Jennie closed her eyes and grimaced subtly as the throbbing in her head intensified.

"Fuck." I cursed before I could stop myself. "How can I help? What do you need?"

"I need you to take Riley to your place tonight." Jennie repeated, exasperated. "Feed him, entertain him – keep his mind off me. And take care of him."

"I will but who will take care of you?" I asked.

"I will." Jennie answered, rolling her eyes. "Don't worry about me, alright? I'll take a pill –"