Chapter Twenty

∞∞∞

∞∞∞

Jennie was dressed casually when she waited for Lisa in front of the school that day, in blue skinny jeans, a simple Adidas white crop top, and a black Adidas jacket which she crumpled the sleeves to reached her elbows. There was a black scarf around her neck, a Chanel Fanny bag slung over her shoulder, and nude high-heels on her feet. She was wearing little make-up, less than usual, and her hair was pulled back in a ponytail.

"Hey.~" Jennie greeted, bending down to press a kiss to his cheek. "How was school?"

"Boring.~" Riley groaned, his hand slipping into hers.

"That sounds lovely.~" Jennie commended.

Riley sent her a dry look. "It does, doesn't it?"

Jennie smiled and tugged on his hand. "Come on, your LILI is waiting for us."

"Where?" Riley asked, surprised, as Jennie began to pull him along.

"You'll see."

Riley frowned at her cryptic answer. "Where's your car? And why are you dressed like this?"

"I didn't have to go to the office today." Jennie answered.

"Arrasseo.~" Riley said. "Why?"

Jennie smiled. "Because I had to survey a field." She answered. "Satisfied?"

"Yes.~" Riley declared, content. His NINI always used company cars when she had to travel, but she never gave up her high-heels. "Where are we going?"

"You asked that question before," Jennie reminded him.

"I know, but—"

"We're here." Jennie interrupted him before he could begin his complaints, coming to a stop in front of a building not even a block away from his school.

Riley mimicked her movements, his eyes staring into the distance at the words printed on the front, while Jennie watched, a smile slowly growing on her features, as realization dawned into him. When it finally did, he turned to face her, excitement already brewing in his dark shaded shimmering eyes.

"We're getting a dog?" Riley exclaimed in awe, looking up at her with wide eyes and a grin on his face.

Jennie smiled and picked him up, which seemed to be as good of an answer as any.

"No kidding?" Riley prodded.

Jennie shook her head. "No kidding."

"And I can choose whatever I want?" Riley pressed.

Jennie walked up the stairs that led to the entrance before placing him down on his feet. "Of course.~" she said, opening the door to allow him inside. "But I have a feeling your LILI might already have a suggestion."

True enough, Lisa was waiting for them inside, holding a brown cardboard box and sporting the same ridiculously happy grin.

Jennie watched, amused, as Riley rushed to her LILI's side, nearly bouncing in his excitement. Shaking her head, the brunette took a seat in her part of the room.

Jennie was surprised when they approached her, but as her son clambered in her lap without another word, his continuous questions soon drowned the feeling.

Lisa set the box on the seat beside Jennie, and it was only then that the brunette caught her first glimpse of the infamous puppy. She nearly rolled her eyes, because his choice had never been more obvious—a brown Pomeranian. The animal was already energetic, wiggling his little tail and constantly placing his paws over the edge of the box, attempting to jump out.

"Does it get really big?" Riley asked, studying his new companion from where he had made himself comfortable in his NINI's arms.

"Nope.~" His LILI responded from her crouched position in front of them.

This time, Jennie did roll her eyes.

"Can I call him Kuma-yah~?"

"You can call him however you want." Lisa assured him, grinning.

Riley made his decision on the spot and prepared to thank his LILI, but right when Lisa's gaze returned to him, Riley looked up at his NINI. Everything about him seemed to change at that moment. His eyes softened, his lips molding into what was more a loving smile than an amused grin.

Riley dared to glance at his NINI, then, and almost had to do a double-take.

Riley had witnessed his NINI's smile before, but never like that. Jennie had laughed with him on many, many occasions, and he had never gotten the impression that she was unhappy but seeing her NINI now, Riley realized that there was something inside of her mind and heart that had always hung over her, a painful sort of hindrance that had never allowed her to be fully and truly content.

Because now, when Jennie plastered her gummy smile, her entire face lit up, and her catlike eyes sparkled in a way they had never sparkled before.

Then Riley realized. He had seen that look before—in the picture he had found so much time ago.

Gazing out the window later that day, watching her son play in the garden, Jennie found it difficult to contain her gummy smile.

Jennie had been right. The puppy was a ball of energy, constantly barking, constantly wagging his tail, and constantly jumping from place to place. Riley seemed to enjoy that, though.

Caught up in her own thoughts, Jennie failed to notice Lisa's presence until the blonde was right beside her.

"Hey.~" Lisa greeted, her dark shaded sparkling eyes soft, as she handed the brunette a steaming mug of tea.

Jennie whispered her gratitude, meeting the tall blonde's gaze for the briefest of moments, before her eyes returned to the scene unfolding behind the glass.

Riley appeared to be attempting to teach his new companion a couple of tricks and commands, but was failing miserably, dissolving into fits of laughter every time the small animal did the complete opposite of what he was asking of him.

From beside her, Lisa laughed. "Doesn't he look happy?" The tall blonde asked, smiling.

Jennie nearly rolled her eyes, and scoffed. "He is happy." She answered.

Jennie knew exactly when Lisa's eyes slid from their child to her own form, the tall blonde's gaze making her skin prickle even after so much time.

"Are you?" Lisa's voice was soft, unsure, hesitant—even wavering. It was as though she was afraid of the brunette's answer—or perhaps of her question.

Jennie turned to face the tall blonde then, confused, not knowing how to respond herself. Jennie had grown comfortable around Lisa, but when their conversations began to even graze the surface of what had happened between them so many years before, the brunette always felt an overwhelming urge to run—to run, away from the blonde, and to never look back. She didn't want to relish the past.

"How does it feel to be back here?" Lisa prodded. Her eyes searched the brunette's, dark shade as coffee pools of warmth and encouragement and feelings Jennie would not name, would not admit they were there, and she felt safe and stable and right for the first time in what seemed to be forever.

Jennie swallowed. The words were out of her mouth before her mind could even begin to process them. "Like home.~"Jennie whispered. "It feels like home.~"