Chapter Twenty-Six

∞∞∞

∞∞∞

∞∞∞

Despite being stuck inside my office that day, I heard clearly when they came home. The door opened and closed, and heels clicked on the hardwood floors, bringing a comical-like argument along.

"NINI—"

"No, Riley."

"But, NINI—"

"I said no!"

"But..."

"Riley, how many times do we have to go over this until you understand? You're not going anywhere. You're only six! You've just earned the right to go out and play without being supervised! And you know what? That's only because you have the garden all to yourself!"

"You're too protective."

With a rib-tickling grin on my face, I stood up from my seat and made my way out of the room, slowly heading towards the living room, where the comical view-like argument seemed to be taking place.

"Excuse you?... Repeat that."

"Ummm..."

"I didn't catch that."

"Yes, you did."

"Okay~. So, if I did, why are you afraid to repeat it?"

"Because you'll snap out."

"I'll snap out. That means you've said something wrong—and you know it."

"Okeh~, okeh~." I laughed, finally interfering. "What's going on in here?"

"Come on." Jennie encouraged, crossing her arms over her chest. "Tell your LILI what's going on. Let's see if she backs you up on this."

The handsome boy mimicked her NINI stubbornly. "There's a trip at school and she won't let me go."

I blinked, slowly sliding into a crouched position next to my son. Was that what the whole match was about? "Why not?" I asked, looking up at Jennie.