Chapter Fourty Two: Prove it

I scribble down any last words my brain can think of before the teacher announces;

"TIME'S UP KIDS!"

A series of loud cheers erupt from the rooms. Our finals were over. We'd all made it through high school!

As soon as I'm out the room, I run into my best friend's arms, nearly tackling her to the ground in the process.

"We did it!" Gigi squeals.

"I don't know about you guys but after that test I highly doubt I'm graduating." Carter sighs.

"Of course you will, Cart. We didn't spend hours studying for nothing."

"Yeah... 'studying'. That's one word for it."

"What does that even- wait what!" I manage to choke out. Gigi and Carter?!

"It's not like that!" Gigi defends.

"Dude why! You and Carter... I can't even. Just no ew." I look between my best friends, unable to fathom how this happened.

Carter waves his hands. "Hey, I'm right here!"

"Shut up Carter!" Gigi and I say in unison.

I drag her away into the girl's bathroom. "Why didn't you tell me?"

"Because it's nothing serious." She shrugs. "And let's be honest Dee, you're overly dramatic."

"Dramatic? ME?" I say in the most dramatic way possible. Huh, maybe she does have a point.

"We're just testing the waters to see if we even like each other like that."

"Do you?" I question.

"Maybe." She shrugs.

"You know... you guys aren't... that bad... I guess?" I mumble.

On hearing these words, Gigi's face lights up because she knows that means I'll support her, even if I have a weird way of showing it. I'm not really the mushy feelings type.

"This is amazing! We can go on double dates with you and Lan-" She stops on seeing my sour expression. "Sorry it slipped..."

"It's fine. I'll uh catch you later." I give her a small smile and rush off to the auditorium.

I'd be lying if I said he still doesn't affect me. I've been thinking about him everyday since he told me he loved me two weeks ago.

It didn't help that every day for the past two weeks he comes by my house. I watch his deflated expression from my window every time my Dad tells him I don't want to see him.

I hadn't told anyone about the Ryan situation or confronted him either. Whenever I see him all I can think about is how he hurt Landon. How he carries on with life so carefree knowing what he did to his best friend. My brother I once looked up to.

He knows something's off with how I've been avoiding him lately, but I haven't given him the opportunity to ask me, staying glued in the auditorium or on my piano at home. I'm pretty sure the 'Do not disturb' sign I put on my door is working.