Chapter Eleven: Friends with Benefits

"Boom, pay up!" I say whilst shoving the last slice of pizza in my mouth.

Lewis groans and hands me $10. "How do you manage to still stay in shape, whilst eating like a pig?"

Landon gives me a once over and smirks. "Nope, all I see is a pig either way."

"Hey!" I say with my mouth still full of food.

The brothers both laugh.

The kitchen door swings open and Lisa Knight enters with a big smile on her face. She gives Lewis a kiss on his cheek and folds her arms when she sees Landon.

"I'm waiting." She taps her foot on the tiled floor.

"Uh...hi?"

"Hi? HI! Is that all you're going to say to me after not coming home for the past two days!" She exclaims whilst swatting him with a dishcloth.

He quickly moves to the other side of the counter, so they're opposite each other. "I'm sorry I'm sorry! Chill woman-"

Lisa glares at him. "Mother, I meant mother."

I quietly laugh to myself. Who thought Zuko would be a mommy's boy.

He notices me laughing and snaps his head towards me. "Something funny, Gem?"

"No no please continue." I wave him of dismissively.

"Sorry about that Heidi dear, but my son's a moron."

"You know a normal mom would tell her son how much she loves him, but no you just have to be extra."

Lewis shakes his head at him. "Don't be such a baby."

"That's what I always say to him!" He high fives me.

Landon walks over to Lisa. She whispers something to him, and a look of distaste spreads onto his face.

I lean over to Lewis. "What do you think they're talking about?"

He shrugs. "Beats me."

Landon turns away from his mom. He studies me for a moment before speaking up. "Come on Gem, I'll take you home."

I quickly shake my head. "It's cool. I'll just take the bus."

"Nonsense honey, Landon will take you home."

"Can't we keep her mom?" Lewis whines.

"Trust me I'd love to have a daughter over you two troublemakers."

I get up and Lewis tugs on my arm. "You'll be back, right?"

"Of course I will buddy." I ruffle his hair.

I feel firm hands grip my shoulders. I turn around to see Landon steering me towards the door. "Find a girl your own age Lewis!"

"But I like older women!" He yells back.

"Lewis! The only girl you should like is your mom so zip it." Lisa scolds, making me laugh.